Did You Pay For Your Skiing When You Were Younger?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
55 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Did You Pay For Your Skiing When You Were Younger?

Marcski
I grew up skiing thanks to my European born and bred father.  I grew up skiing at Berkshire East and Magic. I did not pay for my equipment or skiing until I was in HS and started taking day trips with friends, in which case I would sport the bill. Like Witch hobble, I definitely felt that it was my "duty" to pass on the gift and love of skiing to my kids.   However, despite being lucky enough to have my Dad buy my skis, I have also been working since I was 15 doing various jobs including working in a bagel store, pizza place and a local deli.  
Reply | Threaded
|

trackbiker
I already had a paper route when I started skiing at 11. My older sister went skiing with some friends and I begged them to take me along the next time they went. I paid for my lift ticket and rentals the few times I went that first year. The following summer I bought my first pair of skis, boots, and poles. Jackets and pants were Christmas or birthday gifts. I couldn't afford lessons so I would stand next to a group or private lesson and listen in while pretending to adjust something. I also bought a book on skiing to learn how to ski better. My parents would drop me off and pick me up before I could drive but I always paid for the lift ticket.
I have paid for my 2 kids equipment as Christmas and birthday gifts through college and their tickets when we would ski together. I still help them out when we do an annual 4 day VT trip but let them pay for at least one day. Usually the $29.00 Bromley Tuesday. Both work hard and had college scholarships so I don't mind helping them.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
trackbiker wrote
I couldn't afford lessons so I would stand next to a group or private lesson and listen in while pretending to adjust something.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
In reply to this post by trackbiker
I didn't learn to ski until I was 21 or 22, so I was buying my own stuff.  Buying my daughter's boards since she's in middle school.  Fortunate to win a nice pair of skis for her as a door prize at a race last year.
Reply | Threaded
|

Bababooey
Simple answer..NO my parents hooked me up...nor have my kids..
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
skied at west mt some as a teen,mostly borrowed or used equipment to start.xmas gifts- new stuff from Morans, raichle boots, saurner  skis, 444 bindings.bought my own lift tickets ,3 pm -7pm was $10.boy i sucked , wide legged barrel hugger
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
freeheeln wrote
boy i sucked , wide legged barrel hugger
Yea, but you had fun. That's all that matters in the end.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
I first skied when I was 21. I was a stock clerk at the Eureka Tent factory outlet store. Greek Peak wanted to display their literature on our checkout counter. In exchange, all store workers could ski for free by showing a store letterhead at GP's office. It was essentially a season’s pass. I skied 4 or 5 times in the 2 yrs I worked there. I didn't start skiing regularly until 14 yrs later when my Son was 5. I never saw the future addiction coming. I worked evenings, and watched my Son during the day. I was always on the lookout for fun activities we could do together. I saw the Mountains of Fun coupons at a local McDonald's, and the rest is history. My Son skied for 2 yrs before surrendering to the darkside. He's now 25 and living in Boulder.
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
In reply to this post by gorgonzola
gorgonzola wrote
God I love that movie

Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
In reply to this post by Peter Minde
Peter Minde wrote
I didn't learn to ski until I was 21 or 22, so I was buying my own stuff.  Buying my daughter's boards since she's in middle school.  Fortunate to win a nice pair of skis for her as a door prize at a race last year.
I should have added this before.  One day last year, we took my daughter's BFF skiing.  She WAY liked it and immediately picked up that xc skiing is gliding, not walking, on skis.  She has asked to ski this winter with us a couple of times.  Her parents are like, "You have to come up with the $$" and you know what? She's saving her babysitting money for trail fees and rentals.  I've done my job.
Reply | Threaded
|

Grillman
I moved to New Jersey from NYC and Fire Island when i was 14.   My parents had no interest anymore in snow sports....something about the other 4 kids in the house.  If i wanted to ski, and I did, i shovelled snow and the found a ride with older kids.  When I was a freshman, I got a job at the Seven Hills Restaurant in Bloomfield and worked until 2 AM and then got up at 530 and went to Bellayre.  My Junior year, i talked a ski rental shop in Glen Ridge into hiring me and then I was placed on a list or two for free skiing.  Once i turned 17, and could legally drive, I  discovered spring skiing in NJ and lower NY....unfortunately it was over by April 1.

Sno, i love your enthusiasim for this great sport.    But I believe that even teenagers should earn their turns.  My children who are now 16 and 18 both work weekends at Whiteface teaching the little ones how to ski.  They have become fantastic skiers because they have had to concentrate on the basics and teach them again and again.

you should get working papers and put yourself to work.
Reply | Threaded
|

bean valley
In reply to this post by snoloco
My parents never paid for jack. Really. Not whining, that's just the way it was. Children of the Depression, Midwestern farm sensibilities, low-paid teachers, money for fun was an extravagant notion at best. Best lesson was that I learned you can do just about anything you want on the cheap; there's no reason to pay retail for anything.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Wait a minute.......this kid actually thinks this sport should be more expensive than it already is? WTF?

Snoloco really needs to ski some powder snow.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
raisingarizona wrote
Wait a minute.......this kid actually thinks this sport should be more expensive than it already is? WTF?
he is quite loco, extravagant taste with other peoples coin
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.