29 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Do you love or hate mountain creek?

freeheeln
njadk wrote
gorgonzola wrote
I don't hate mountain creek, I just HATE hearing about it very other post.
+1

The constant MC banter is one of the reasons  
+2
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Grillman
Why did PA who claims to love saftey and powder start this thread?  He has been on the site long enough to know that Sno would defend his mountain.  As for love/hate, I have neither emotion.   The place gets people out on skis...some stay there, others move on.   I went there in High School, occassional days thereafter, and later, took my children when they were young.  

The mountain is crowded and sometimes the conditions are good and sometimes they are not....thats life near the big city.

It is also a place where a lot of poeple have fun and develop a love for a sport we all crave.

Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Grillman wrote
Why did PA who claims to love saftey and powder start this thread?  He has been on the site long enough to know that Sno would defend his mountain.  As for love/hate, I have neither emotion.   The place gets people out on skis...some stay there, others move on.   I went there in High School, occassional days thereafter, and later, took my children when they were young.  

The mountain is crowded and sometimes the conditions are good and sometimes they are not....thats life near the big city.

It is also a place where a lot of poeple have fun and develop a love for a sport we all crave.
You got it Grillman, even the title is obvious troll bait.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by Grillman
Grillman wrote
Why did PA who claims to love saftey and powder start this thread?  
I thought it would be a funny and interesting topic to discuss. I don't even why people on here are so upset over the place being talked about. So strange. You do realize you don't ahve to post in every thread if you don't liek the topic?
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

Grillman
i dont think anyone is upset about the topic.  i just asked about your motives.  If you bothered reading what i wrote, you would have reead that i had positive things to say about MC.
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
Growing up in Northern NJ our High School ski club went there every Thursday night as VV/GG.  Once I graduated I never went back.  We'd ski Plattekill, Highmount and Bobcat on the weekends among others (Mt.Cathalia was one of my favorites).  I have no desire to return to MC
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Skiray
MC is what it is. My wife and I took a 10 year break from skiing and it was mainly because our oldest son (who sadly passed away) was disabled and got cold very easily. We still got him on skis though (adaptive one that we made for him).

When our middle son turned about 6, we were going to move to California and after getting rid our NYC apartment and finding a place out West in the LA area, my company decided that they would rather me stay on the East Coast. That was 2010. After finding the place we are in now and then getting that blessed snow storm on Christmas night, standing in 3 feet of snow in 15 degree weather while my son (who was maybe 6) was riding his freeboard down a local hill (I was dreading every second of being out in that weather), my wife says to me "maybe we should start skiing again".  I took a second to think about it and said "fuck ya, if we are living in this weather we better start doing winter sports again!"

We were not sure if I could ski again (given I have a bad knee - but, now that is knees) so, we decided to do things on a budget - getting some used equipment and getting new helmets which for us was a new thing but, man do those things make sense. Will not ski without a helmet ever again!  Anyway, due to trying to keep things tight, and to experiment we decided to go to Mtn Creek on a triple play card for 99 bucks - we got a couple.  After 1 or 2 runs in really good snow (remember it was 2010 xmas week and it was AWESOME snow), my wife and I were hooked again.  

Mtn. Creek was a good place to get our feet wet in the sport that we used to do 40 to 50 days a year prior to 1997. After until about 2000 we skied about 20 days a year and 2001 I only skied one day. That day being 2/11/01. I know since I have the ticket still.  

In 2010 we skied over 30 days with about 6 of those being at Mtn Creek.  Yes, there were crowded days but, being that we were on a budget and new to the sport again, it made sense. Also, being so close to NYC was great as it saved us on hotels since we could drive home, though we did rent a place for a couple of days there once.

Pretty much every year since being back in the sport (now on our 5th season) we got triple play cards there.  Though this year we decided, it's time to move on from that Mountain as it is really crowded, there are many bad skiers and boarders and if you want to survive you have to ski on off days or at night.  

I like the mountain for what it is, to get the itch out and if you are NYC area and just want to hit something up for a couple of hours between 8am and 10pm - and only want to drive an hour - nothing beats Mtn Creek. Please don't tell me Thunder Ridge is an option....  :)

Anyway, I say stop beating up on Mtn Creek. It is what it is and the staff we have met there have always been helpful. It's tough to manage a mountain that gets that busy and being a NY'er, we are a tough crowd to please.

The family that skis together, stays together.

AlbaAdventures.com
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Skiray is 1000% correct here.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
In reply to this post by Skiray
Skiray wrote

Anyway, I say stop beating up on Mtn Creek.
not beating up on mc ,just sno dragging it into EVERY thread, please make it stop
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.