Donut Hole

23 messages Options
Cunningstunts Cunningstunts
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Re: Donut Hole

Yeah, but it's strange.  Radar looks like it's showing snow around Big K area now, but not a coastal, is it?  Looked like wind was coming from the west, maybe NW.
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

The OP used the phrase "watching the radar now."  Right now has nothing to do with coastal. There is a NW flow and this is all about the topography. The same "system" blows over Gore and drops nothing and then does drop snow on Killington or Mt Snow.  It has to do with the alignment of the mountains. A north south ridge pulls snow out of the atmosphere that the disorganized Adks can't.

This difference is the primary reason why Killington get 250 and Gore gets 150.  Some of that may be noreasters but most is topography.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Cunningstunts Cunningstunts
Reply |

OK - actually think this makes sense now and I was wrong before.

The disorganization of the Adirondack peaks give East/West channels for the moist air to move through and not have to gain elevation to dump moisture.  The NW alignment of the peaks in a wall is directly perpendicular to the prevailing winds and thus there's nowhere for the moisture to go but up and over, and to dump.

I'd also assume this has something to do with the fact that Killington is 4k footer if one draws a line from Killington to the NE end of Lake Ontario, there are no real major ranges in the way.  The Snowy Mtn range is south and the High Peaks are north (Sewards, etc).
ADmiKe ADmiKe
Reply |

Despite all these technical reasons why the ADKs typically get less snow than VT, particularly NoVT, it's interesting how over the past few seasons WF has been pretty on par with the snowfall in VT, at least it seemed that way from checking ski reports as often as I do.  For example, wasn't it last year (or maybe it was the year before?) that Whiteface hit some kind of record of 289" for the season?  I know Stowe and Jay get 300+, but it seemed like storm to storm Whiteface was generally keeping up with the big numbers, like the big 44" dump that occured etc.

In terms of the original topic, I too notice the hole over the ADKs on the radar often, but many times just figure "bad image" and it's "probably snowing there too right now".

Even with NoVT getting more snow majority of the time - there ain't nothing that can compare to dropping into a slide at WF thinking "This is the east coast?!?"

NorEaster27 NorEaster27
Reply |

Harvey and Co are correct.  Vermont gets a lot of snow from orographic uplift.  The spine is aligned North to south and a good NNW to NW wind slams the spine and produces snow.  The NW dacks also cash in, if Whiteface was NW of Lake Placid I believe they would average at least 50 inches more.  WF and even Gore do get some Lake Effect snow.  WF also receives some orographic snow but it's usually nickle and dime compared to VT or NNE.  The best wind for orographic or lake effect for WF is actually SW.  Having the PV sit North of the great lakes has produced epic lake / orographic snows for WF but rare.  Gore can also cash in on lake effect, they need a strong west wind.  However best lake effect is West of them toward old forge / speculator / moose river plains.  
Kleetus Kleetus
Reply |

NorEaster27 wrote
Harvey and Co are correct.  Vermont gets a lot of snow from orographic uplift.  The spine is aligned North to south and a good NNW to NW wind slams the spine and produces snow.  The NW dacks also cash in, if Whiteface was NW of Lake Placid I believe they would average at least 50 inches more.  WF and even Gore do get some Lake Effect snow.  WF also receives some orographic snow but it's usually nickle and dime compared to VT or NNE.  The best wind for orographic or lake effect for WF is actually SW.  Having the PV sit North of the great lakes has produced epic lake / orographic snows for WF but rare.  Gore can also cash in on lake effect, they need a strong west wind.  However best lake effect is West of them toward old forge / speculator / moose river plains.
This is why we need to campaign for everyone to dump there fill onto McCauley and bump it up to 1k vert! Not that it ski's bad as it is but still....imagine the possibilities
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

Kleetus man no way we want to keep Mccaulay the way it is no slopeside condos either!

JonC JonC
Reply |

In reply to this post by Harvey
Seems to me there are some BC touring options in the Snowy Mountain area and even some small slides. I’ve heard of some people skiing it but there is limited info. I was going to check it out this summer but the stars never aligned. Anyone on here ever been back there on skis?
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

https://twitter.com/nyskiblog
Kleetus Kleetus
Reply |

In reply to this post by Harvey
DEFINITELY NO CONDOS