classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Fahnestock Conditions

ml242
I mean, Peter to the Batphone...

Have you been up, how's it looking these days?

Sidenote, do you remember passing any climbable ice around there? This winter is a loss if I can't ski into something cool to climb. Maybe I should start looking back at the gunks, but it's so spendy in comparison.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Fahnestock Conditions

Peter Minde
Great Scott, Robin, it's a skier from Gotham!

One of my friends had a good time at Fahnestock last weekend.  As I was in the Adirondacks, I can't personally vouch for the conditions.  Paul Kuznia (Fahnestock manager) has a newsgroup on, I believe, Yahoo, where you can sign on to get conditions reports.  He's a straight shooter, no BS.

For that manner, good conditions at both Dewey Mt and Mt van Ho last weekend.  They have way less snow than we do (did) but they've groomed the living daylights out of it.  Downhills at van Ho were terrifyingly fast Sunday AM.

For ice climbing, I'm sorry, but I can't help with that…  One of these years, if I can ski 100 days a year, then I'd check out ice climbing too.  One can always dream.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
i have never seen or heard of anyone climbing ice on that side of the river..
I imagine the only place in gunks would be kens crack..you can ski right up to the base..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
There's all kinds of chatter that there is actually more ice in the Hudson Valley than the Gunks or Catskills, but that it's all on private land. I have no idea what they're talking about, I just like winter and all these snow/ice activities so much and have no desire to spend 5k on a mountain bike just to keep up with the joneses (during the summer).
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
I have climbed some ice that is just south of woodbury commons..don't know if it was on private or public land..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
@ ml242

For conditions at Fahnestock, go to Yahoo and subscribe to fwp-conditions@yahoogroups.com.

This isn't a newsgroup per se with conversations, Paul uses this to send out conditions reports.