Fat Skis, less carving more snow searching

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Fat Skis, less carving more snow searching

sirskier
This season has been a terrific one.  I have two pairs of skis.  A pair of 2002 Vokle Superspeeds that I keep sharp and use for carving when it is icy as well as high speed cruising.  I also have a new pair of ski Rossi B83 from a few years ago that I always considered my west coast/snow day skis; they are more for freestyle and perform great in bumps, east coast off piste, glades, and moderate deep fresh pow.  They do not carve as well as my more shapley Voks.  I feel that the move away from carving and focusing on bumps, powders stashes, trees using these skis has made me a more well rounded skier.  I guess I am now a freestyle guy and not so much into the race style these days.  I read on another blog called epicski.com that fat skis are not a fad, the author went on to say that carvers get in the way of those trying to ski the zipper line ie. powder staches,  and that they the fat ski types just want to get out of the way and get off the regular mountain, so they do not have to deal with the zig zaggers.  I just thought it was an interesting point.  

On piste is better then no piste
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Fat Skis, less carving more snow searching

Burgermeister
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
back in the tua days
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

K man
Unlike chicks, fat skis rock (just joking)....my narrowest ski now is 88 mm underfoot, my widest 110 mm.  Burgerboy, I bet you skied pow on something narrower than 70 mm, and we used to love it and ski it well.  
Avitar=Left Gully, Tuckerman Ravine
No Fat Chicks, Just Fat Skis