ScottyJack
Ba Blah blah ba bla blah blah
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fat skis and knee issues

JTG4eva!
Pretty much!  So sorry to have put you out.....
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by x10003q
x10003q wrote
You should have stopped writing after your second paragraph. You were skiing on a 2013/2014 intermediate, feel good ski that you would have hated if it was new, let alone with 4-5 years of rental service..
Exactly correct.

It'd be like writing a shitty review of a 2011 "dual suspension" huffy from Walmart and making all sorts of extrapolations about how you'll stick with your old hardtail bike because dual suspension is obviously not as good.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Please dont...
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
ScottyJack wrote
Please dont...
Ha. Probably best not to encourage anyone.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
Well, my son did pick up a Schwinn FS mountain bike (for occasional use sitting in the MA garage) AND my Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo genesis hardtail is much better so......

Addendum......Harvey, how cool would it be if we had a “middle finger” emoji around here!?!  

We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Id give Peetex the middle finger every post!!!!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
You should of gotten in touch with me
I could have put you on a Volkl RTM 84 for the weekend

Being 6’4” you have longer legs so the geometry for you is going to allow you to ski a somewhat wider ski before it impacts less than optimal performance
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Z
https://realskiers.com/revelations/why-wide-skis-arent-good-for-your-knees/

How Ground Reaction Force induces stress on the knee.

Here’s the kicker: depending on snow density and water content, it takes 8 to 14 inches of snow to reduce the negative effects GRF. When you’re romping around on 6 to 8 inches, GRF is with you all the way. The wider the ski, the more GRF is multiplied and the greater the strain on knee ligaments when trying to get the ski on edge.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
So I'm all good on my 97mm WhiteRooms?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
It's close.

If I were you, and already had a pair of 97mm White Rooms, I'd go for an 84-88mm waist for non pow days.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
MC2 5678F589 wrote
It's close.

If I were you, and already had a pair of 97mm White Rooms, I'd go for an 84-88mm waist for non pow days.
I'm tall and fat does that make a difference? I guess I shouldn't buy the used Volkl 3's that I've been eyeing? They are 135 underfoot. They are full rocker though
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Z
I experienced this for the first time on Monday.

I've now got a burlier setup (NTN) and I felt the extra pressure on my knees on a hard packed, but not icy, day at Hunter on Monday. I could feel it, with ankles nearly fully rigid, all the energy generated is focused on your knees.

Skiing was good, but it wasn't a day I would normally pick, so not sure if it makes sense for me to expand my quiver. I probably get less than one of those kind of days each season.

Still I'm aware of it now and will definitely pay attention.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
I correlated more with the side cut on a ski not necessarily the width  but I'm not even certain that's it. My enforcer 93's I can turn them with my ankles changing the angle. They turn like a bastard and you can put together high speed quick turns never skidding the ski. When the snow is right it digs in pretty good and that's when I notice the knee.  I have enforcer 110. When I do the same thing I have not experienced the knee thing.  Maybe I can't do it at fast.
Point is for my it's how I turn the ski not the ski. When I stand or over it  do my gs turn I don't have problems. Neither do I when I go my wiggle bump turn.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
It's always going to be how you turn the ski...however, it boils down to when in different snow conditions, one must change the way they turn a ski, if you want to still "carve" a turn.  I actually picked up a pair of GS race skis for firm days.  Otherwise, my 92-94 mm daily drivers are just fine for out here in the east, even on deep days.  I do want to also pick up something fatter and lighter for touring and really deep pow days especially for when out west.  But, for skiing out here, I think it was more important to get something skinnier than something fatter than my daily drivers.

As for knee issues, you guys are just getting old, ever hear of Osteoarthritis!  
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by tjf1967
I think it's the side cut as well. When I blew my knee out the snow was very "grippy" and as soon as I went into a right hand turn I walked right out of my left ski. I'm certain it was due to the torque created by speed and side cut.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Marcski
I'm not even close to being in any kind of pain, I'm just saying I could feel the stress.

My skis don't have a ton of sidecut, I think.
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
I have a theory, but for reference I am a 44 year old telemarker.

I think it is the combination of the width and the tip and tail rocker that a lot of us are using (as well as general wear and tear of age, and the human limitations of the skier). These skis are great on powder days, but the dopamine really carries you through some pain on pow days.  They are really fun in soft spring conditions/hero snow. But in firm conditions(like today in New Hampshire), because they lack the traditional, “poppy” camber to cleanly rebound out of each turn, it can be hard to truly arc them, so there is a decent amount of smearing going on. And on hardpack and ice those smear turns produce lots of chatter. That chatter produces lots of vibration, which translates to the knee stress.

Like I said, just a theory.  Getting old sucks in this regard.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I think that is exactly right. Even the dopamine part.  It heals ya.

The thing is I don't really ski on those days much, or hardly ever.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
It's close.

Probably next. 2022.