classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

First Time at Gore Mtn, Any Tips?

outoftowner
This post was updated on .
What tips would you have for Gore Mtn for a first timer?  I'm brining my 9 yr old son for some good skiing on his spring break.  He's done everything at Holiday Valley, Holimont, and 7 Springs.  Its his third season and he's a decent black diamond skier, not too crazy about moguls but likes the glades and terrain parks.  He has no fear, which is both a good and bad thing.
We're heading up from Cleveland and will be there 3 days for some good runs.  Not sure where to stay yet, but with the late season discount and showing a season pass to our local 'hill', it breaks down to some cheap skiing for a lot of vertical (10x our local 'resort').
How is the ski school/instructors?  We were considering some lessons to help raise our game.  Should we just hit the slopes?  Welcome any tips or guidance on where to hit early, avoid the crowds, good morning/afternoon runs, where to eat off the slopes.....  
We'll be there early every day.  Wed/Thu/Fri, so it should be light crowds anyway, I'd hope.
Thanks!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: First Time at Gore Mtn, Any Tips?

gebbyfish
I hear the instructors are very good!  At this point, there is probably less interest and you may wind up with a one on one lesson.  The mountain has tremendous variety and I'm sure you will find some nice skiing to meet all of your needs.  The weather is getting warm here, so be sure to get out early in the AM.  It's been skiing better in the AM and getting pretty soft and grabby by the afternoon.  You cannot get to the top from the gondola or the triple chair at the base.  You have to take another lift to get to the top.  Most runs don't have a lot of moguls on them at this point, though that may change by mid-week as the skiers shape the softer snow this weekend.  Rumor, the signature double black diamond run was a mogul field from the looks of it by the time we left today.  Maybe somebody on here will be up there to show you around when you're there.  I'll be up on Tuesday, not the end of the week.  Good luck and let us know what you think after your trip!
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
First I would recommend going on a weekend instead of a weekday.  The crowds won't be that bad and there will be much more terrain open.  This late in the season midweek means no Dark Side, no North Side, no Burnt Ridge, no Interconnect/skibowl, and many glades closed to preserve the snow.  For blue terrain the stuff off the gondola will most likely be your only option.  The gondola will also most likely be the only lower mountain lift open.  For black diamonds go up top.  There is Hawkeye, Chatamac (can't spell this one), and Open Pit as single blacks as well as Rumor and Lies for double blacks.  All of these trails are located in the straightbrook area.  In the topridge area there is Uncas and Topridge.  My personal favorite morning run is to ride up the gondola and ski down Foxlair to Sunway to Quicksilver.  This run is great for some serious high speed skiing and the early morning cord is incredible.  Some of my other favorite runs are Showcase, Sagamore, Cloud, Topridge, Uncas, and Echo.  Echo and Sagamore are on Burnt Ridge, so they probably will be closed.  We often stay in Lake George at the Hampton Inn.  It's about half an hour away.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

gebbyfish
Next week may be the last hurrah, so more of the mountain may be open.  I skied last Thursday and as far as open terrain, it was hard to tell the difference between weekend and weekday, and your plans are made.  Snoloco outlined a good smattering of runs that you should focus on!