Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: First look: XV Crosstrek

campgottagopee
This post was updated on .
riverc0il wrote
campgottagopee wrote
Lets not forget a few things....

Subaru is a niche car company and they don't build cars for everyone.

their sales have increase every year for the past 5 years making them the only car company to do so...
C'mon, Camp. You say it is a niche company not building cars for everyone but their sales are increasing in a bad economy because they started making almost all their vehicles fit into a cross over mold based on the success of the major car companies. I'm not disputing Subie's success but you can't have it both ways. The only thing that makes Subie niche is AWD on every car and they can't even claim that any more due to their RWD offering. Subie has done everything possible to reduce its niche position to drive sales and not appear like some weird second tier manufacturer. Its cool. But you can't have it both ways. You say the old wagons didn't sell but I see them everywhere so I don't know about that. Maybe they don't sell as well as CUV/SUV and that is fine... good for Subie... but that is not a niche move.
We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one, Riv. I see Subie as a niche car company, and I've been around a lot of them.

it's cool...the world needs Subie haters
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
campgottagopee wrote
I only became a hater after being a lover. My next car (and first ever new car) for YEARS was going to be an Outback. Then the model switch happened the year before I bought my VW SportWagen. I appreciated Subie as a niche company. Now I just see them as popping out AWD TrailBlazers. It was the right business decision, I ain't hating on that. I am hating on the fact that they don't make a vehicle I want to buy any more. I really do hate that. Not as a hater... but as someone that wants to be a buyer if the right product were made again.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by riverc0il
riverc0il wrote
 You say it is a niche company not building cars for everyone but their sales are increasing in a bad economy because they started making almost all their vehicles fit into a cross over mold based on the success of the major car companies. I'm not disputing Subie's success but you can't have it both ways. The only thing that makes Subie niche is AWD on every car and they can't even claim that any more due to their RWD offering. Subie has done everything possible to reduce its niche position to drive sales and not appear like some weird second tier manufacturer. Its cool. But you can't have it both ways. You say the old wagons didn't sell but I see them everywhere so I don't know about that. Maybe they don't sell as well as CUV/SUV and that is fine... good for Subie... but that is not a niche move.
Wrong. Subaru sailed right through this recession with great sales because they made (make) a super quality product which is very reliable and very fairly priced. The word of mouth killed the competition. The only argument against them I had a hard time justifying was the poor mileage, which they have addressed with the new engine and CVT, and made quite a jump with that combo. And remember, everyone who is complaining about power loss, you better get used to it, because this is just the first step - average mileage will have to be up near 50mpg in a decade or so. They had to do this.

I still haven't seen one of these things at the local dealer - they told me any day now. I will be buying a Subaru soon (I have owned three), and it's between a loaded Impreza sport, this Crosstek, or a WRX. The WRX is way ahead at this point, especially after the test drive. My major concern is how to put my older Thule box on top. It looks much easier on the Impreza, and Benny loves his box. But, he also loves the WRX.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Benny Profane wrote
I still haven't seen one of these things at the local dealer - they told me any day now. I will be buying a Subaru soon (I have owned three), and it's between a loaded Impreza sport, this Crosstek, or a WRX. The WRX is way ahead at this point, especially after the test drive. My major concern is how to put my older Thule box on top. It looks much easier on the Impreza, and Benny loves his box. But, he also loves the WRX.
If the box is your only concern you answered you own question - WRX. The box will be an easy fix.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
 My major concern is how to put my older Thule box on top. It looks much easier on the Impreza, and Benny loves his box. But, he also loves the WRX.
If the WRX roofline is anything like the previous version, you can use Yakima Control Towers, Landing Pads and standard Yakima bars, then put the box on that. Elegant and relatively inexpensive solution. Easy to get on and off, the landing pads stay there and don't look too unsightly.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Benny Profane wrote

Wrong. Subaru sailed right through this recession with great sales because they made (make) a super quality product which is very reliable and very fairly priced.

And they've done it with ZERO incentives (other than special APR), that is the true measure of where a car companys product stands. No gov bailout, no incentives, just cars that people want to buy = success
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by riverc0il
riverc0il wrote
campgottagopee wrote
I only became a hater after being a lover. My next car (and first ever new car) for YEARS was going to be an Outback. Then the model switch happened the year before I bought my VW SportWagen. I appreciated Subie as a niche company. Now I just see them as popping out AWD TrailBlazers. It was the right business decision, I ain't hating on that. I am hating on the fact that they don't make a vehicle I want to buy any more. I really do hate that. Not as a hater... but as someone that wants to be a buyer if the right product were made again.
I'm kinda surprised you feel that way. Yes the OB has changed cosmetically (i think for the better), but the nuts -n- bolts of it are the same.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Interesting , the so called cosmetic changes to the OB are EXACTLY what drew our attention to the product in the first instance . prior versions while nice simply didn't meet our Needs ,either on the design schematic nor the gear storage capacity and layout for the interior . So again  to each his own , for some it really WORKS .
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
So, I bought a Forester.  I was thinking of the WRX, and then Mr. Sensible on my right shoulder won. WRX would have been 30+ grand, and I immediately would have had to drop another couple of thousand into snow tires and wheels. I don't want to work for the rest of my life. The Outback was out, only because of that stupid rack they put on top of it. What a stupid move, and they still haven't fixed it. I was seriously considering a Crosstek, but, limited in production, which just exposes you to the worst in car salesman, which is pretty bad, I'm pretty sure most would agree. Twice I negotiated for a car THAT DIDN'T EXIST. Morons.
So, I started checking out Subaru Certified Pre Owned, and liked what i saw. Super warranty, and clean as an AAA hotel room on your first night. Almost nailed a nice '09 Outback, the last year it looked good with a normal rack on top, but, lost that one to the hurricane. Since most Subaru dealers have five times as may Foresters as any other, I settled on an '10 black on black with 12,000 miles, winter package, and, get this, remote starter! Awesome. I can now start my car in the shower. Cool.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Good for you, Benny. Your car shopping was almost as agonizing as Harv's binding dilemma. Or is is it trilemma? Anyway. I had a Forester for a loaner when my Impreza was in for some warranty service. The thing drove like a tank compared to the Impreza but it definitely will get you to the hill and back. Good ground clearance too, for the deep days. Bonus on the remote start, you can crash in the parking lot and turn it on from the comfort of your sleeping bag!
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Nice!!! CPO cars are a good way to go. Good savings (most of the time) compared to new and (like you said) great warranty.

Sorry you had a bad experience at a Subie dealership on a new car---that sucks!!!

You could've posted here about availability on the C-trek and I would've saved you some time

I'm surprised there was negotiating on that car at all.

What you see on the lot is what you get. If you want anything else you better order one which (on average) takes 6 to 8 weeks to drop.
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
My wife and I both drive Subies and we both love them. Also if you are an NSP or PSIA member you can participate in a discount program which makes buying a Subie even more attractive.

Haters gonna hate Camp. I think alot has to do with showing how much they know about cars, or any subject for that matter. Its a forum thing. You've probably forgotten more about cars then they'll ever know.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote

You know, it wasn't even negotiating, really. It was some bored salesman, desperate for a game, just dicking around with me. For, I guess, kicks.

They aren't all bad, though. Premier Subaru, in Branford, CT., was OK, although I still would keep my hand on my wallet whenever I'm around those guys, too. Ever hear the tale of the scorpion and frog?
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Highpeaksdrifter
Highpeaksdrifter wrote
My wife and I both drive Subies and we both love them. Also if you are an NSP or PSIA member you can participate in a discount program which makes buying a Subie even more attractive.

That's a great program. Helps by taking the fear of paying too much right out of the picture.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Benny Profane wrote
campgottagopee wrote

You know, it wasn't even negotiating, really. It was some bored salesman, desperate for a game, just dicking around with me. For, I guess, kicks.

Gotcha---dude must have been a real prick. That kinda crap drives me nuts!!!

Benny Profane wrote
. Ever hear the tale of the scorpion and frog?

yup
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
Benny Profane wrote
So, I bought a Forester.  I was thinking of the WRX, and then Mr. Sensible on my right shoulder won.
I have a feeling it's not the XT?

Dunno about the newer models, but the older ones had the same engine/transmission as the WRX. Although, they may have also had the same problem with the oil feeder line/banjo bolt for the turbo that the LGTs did which caused half of them to blow up.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
tBatt wrote
Benny Profane wrote
So, I bought a Forester.  I was thinking of the WRX, and then Mr. Sensible on my right shoulder won.
I have a feeling it's not the XT?

Dunno about the newer models, but the older ones had the same engine/transmission as the WRX. Although, they may have also had the same problem with the oil feeder line/banjo bolt for the turbo that the LGTs did which caused half of them to blow up.

I first test drove a real nice and very loaded '11 XT, and did not like it a whole lot. Well, first, a turbo into an auto just doesn't do it for me. A LOT of wasted power. First the turbo lag, and then the slushbox trans  is trying to figure out how to shift. OK on a highway, i guess, but the test drive was on small country roads, which is not a place for such a drivetrain. I really doubt you can find that thing in stock with a stick. Felt heavier and bulkier, too. As soon as I got into the X, I felt better. Much more efficient. Lighter, nimbler. $5000 cheaper, too.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Sometimes Camp I get a know it all in my office and I just play games with them  Does not matter what you know they know more and are sure to try and impress you.  Its a no win.  I wonder why they don't go to the internet and do it themselves.  Them types I give no info and barely talk.  After 20 years you can smell them within 60 seconds.  
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
HA....I think that's why we get along. Great minds DO think alike