Four Seasons

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Four Seasons

Denis.N
In "Ski Season Calendar" blog entry Harvey mentions "calendar Fall", "calendar Winter" and "calendar Spring" and gets them wrong. Those are so called astronomical seasons.

I passionately disagree with having seasons start on solstices and equinoxes There is no scientific base for that. I always thought is solstice/equinox dates are to be used, then those dates should be the middle of the respective seasons.

I like meteorological approach, when for the Northern hemisphere Spring begins on March 1, Summer on June 1st, Fall starts on September 1, and on December First arrives wintertime. For Summer/Winter these dates very closely corresponds to actual hottest/coldest 3 months of year:

"In the Northern Hemisphere the period of maximum daylight falls roughly between May 7 and August 7--in other words, the six weeks before and after the solstice. The period of maximum temperature, on the other hand, is June 4 through September 3. (The period of max temperature in the mid-latitudes always lags about 25 to 30 days behind the period of max daylight, due to the fact that the earth heats up and cools off relatively slowly.)"
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Four Seasons

Harvey
Administrator
Denis.N wrote
In "Ski Season Calendar" blog entry Harvey mentions "calendar Fall", "calendar Winter" and "calendar Spring" and gets them wrong.
Hey that's when my calendar says Fall on it, and it gets my attention.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
Wow, holy over thinking it batman!

Like I posted before, I got two seasons: Ski Season and Don't Ski Season. The later starts next week, the former ends this weekend.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Mammoth is still open....all da way to Independence Day.