Garmisch Classic Germany March 23-24 2019

21 messages Options
Jamesdeluxe Jamesdeluxe
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Re: Garmisch Classic Germany March 23-24

Z wrote
What I have taken from James posts is to make sure to take time to have the cake and lunch.  It seemed like I was making fun of James but it was more imatation as flattery.  James trs are the best.  I didn’t mean to offend James.
I was busting your chops, not serious. What's especially odd is that an insulin-dependent diabetic (me, not Z) is posting pix of decadent desserts that he's eating.

BigK75 wrote
 Coach Z and JD you have skied in both the Rockies and now Europe. Can you guys take a little bit about the differences and which you prefer and why.
Will reply later today.
JTG4eva! JTG4eva!
Reply |

I don’t have the level of experience James does (nobody does!), or Z, but I can give you my take based on a short visit to Zermatt.  

The scenery, the alpine environment, the culture.....those were more memorable for me than the actual skiing.  Of course we didn’t have much time, and I couldn’t really delve into the off piste.  However, the idea of skiing groomed pistes in a vast expanse of snow covered landscape was....odd?  I guess if the vast whiteness around the above tree line pistes was dotted with trees the groomed runs might have seemed just like what we have in the US?  In any event, notwithstanding the incredible scenery and mind blowing vertical, I’d think one could easily get bored skiing the groomed pistes in Europe.  Then there is the weather.  Hit it wrong and look out.  I’ve had plenty of bad vis days in the US (east and west), but above treeline in the Alps a bad day is vertigo inducing even for the heartiest of skiers.  So, the skiing itself is fascinating in some ways, but strange and not so great in others.  Hit it right and have time to explore it is probably sublime, but that may not happen often.

Then there is the cultural element, right from boarding a train in Zurich and training all the way to Zermatt (a no car village) with the scenery, and the Alpine Villages, and the people, and the food, and the food, and the fo....oh, I said that, sorry....to taking a train as your lift to a glacier, to so many other things.  Stopping at a quaint Swiss hotel mid mountain above tree line for an incredible lunch for much less than a crappier lunch here would cost.  The experience of all of that was more impactful than the skiing itself, which is obviously incredible, so that’s saying a lot.  That is why James’ reports are so great, why Z is right, why everyone should experience European skiing at least once.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
AmmergauerTele AmmergauerTele
Reply |

Skiing in Europe is just refined.  Sit on a deck, have a kuchen, radler, enjoy the scenery, etc.

As for the Garmisch-Partenkirchen area - definitely recommend heading over to Lermoos and Ehrwald for a day.  Ski much better that Garmisch Classic.  Less crowded, chill vibe, good huts to chill.  Living in the Garmisch area for two years had only a couple good days at Classic while many good days at Erhwald and Lermoos.  Good tree skiing in places there too.  
Z Z
Reply |

AmmergauerTele wrote
Skiing in Europe is just refined.  Sit on a deck, have a kuchen, radler, enjoy the scenery, etc.

As for the Garmisch-Partenkirchen area - definitely recommend heading over to Lermoos and Ehrwald for a day.  Ski much better that Garmisch Classic.  Less crowded, chill vibe, good huts to chill.  Living in the Garmisch area for two years had only a couple good days at Classic while many good days at Erhwald and Lermoos.  Good tree skiing in places there too.
Thanks for the info.  I should have tried Lermoos.  

Are you an ex pat American?  If I may ask how did that come about and how easy / Hard is it to pull off?  Can you work in Eu or are you retired?  What about health care? How expensive is housing?

How did you pick Garmisch-Partenkirchen as your new home?
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
AmmergauerTele AmmergauerTele
Reply |

I was in the Navy and working for NATO at the time at NATO School Oberammergau about 20 minutes from Garmisch.  If you get the chance spend an afternoon in Oberammergau.  They have a great alpine slide at the Kolben Ski Area that's open in the summer and fall, awesome pool - Wellenberg, and Passion Play in 2020.  If you get the opportunity next time if you can go a little further into Austria I recommend.  Garmisch reminded me mostly on New England skiing - would often get icy and scraped off.  Trails crowded as easy to get to from Munich.  So many ski areas in Tyrol Austria to choose from.  Lermoos and Erhwald right down the street then the further you go the better - St. Anton (including Lech/Zurs/Warth), Ischgl, Serfaus/Fiis, Solden, Obergurgl/Hochgurgl, and many more will blow your mind....Terrain everywhere, detachable 4/6/8 seaters with bubbles, heated seats, crazy 24 person gondola type lifts.  The infrastructure is crazy.  And there are many more ski areas...checkout the Tyrol Snow Card!
Jamesdeluxe Jamesdeluxe
Reply |

Z: someone recently posted an extensive report from early February in case you'd like to see more pix. Put the link through Google Translate for his details.
Benny Profane Benny Profane
Reply |

I just did my first Alp trip this winter, one week at Val d'Sière/Tignes and second week at LaPlagne/Les Arcs, and it was a real eye opener and very very impressive, so much so that I didnt buy either an Ikon or Epic pass this Spring and plan on going back next year. There are downsides, like length of travel compared to Denver or SLC, but that's easily sucked up. The biggest problem I found, one that I anticipated, was the "bad weather" skiing. If you're at a place like Val dSière/Tignes, which, although massive, spectacular places that put any western hill to shame in size, but essentially have no trees, a not sunny day, let alone storms of any kind, are impossible to ski in. And I like to ski in snowstorms. LaPlagne had a lot more in the way of tree skiing, although we didnt need it because we lucked out with a week of bluebird. Val/Tignes was tough, because the weather sucked most of the week. Hardly saw the place, ate and drank too much. So, keep that in mind if you're going over. The treeline over there is much lower.
funny like a clown
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

Benny Profane wrote
The treeline over there is much lower.
Why is that?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Benny Profane Benny Profane
Reply |

I don't know. The trees tend to vanish around 6500-7000 feet, whereas ABasin in Colorado has good tree skiing at 11,000 feet.
funny like a clown
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

De Googlez brought me to TGR:

"Treeline roughly approximates the 10C July isotherm. That is, the spot where the average July temperature is 10C. So warm summer temps = high treeline."
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp