So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gear trends 15-16

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
I would like to know Z's opinions on the 90Eight and how they compare with the Mantra in terms of edge hold on Eastern Ice.
I was looking at the 90Eight yesterday at the Alpine Sport Shop (we were getting the kids geared up).  This is the ski I want to replace my K2 SideShows, but of course Dad is always at the bottom of the priority list for new ski gear.  
Light, 8 or 9 mils wider under foot than my current skis, but supposed to have solid edge hold. This would be a quiver-of-one ski for me.  
Still sticking with my 75mm boots though.  It'd be a 2K investment for me to switch over to NTN, and I'm not even sure I'd want to switch in the first place.  Matt, do you know of any NTN demo days?  I'm at least curious.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
To me that would be too wide for a one ski quiver.  I'd go with the Kendo at 90mm wide and square sideways which I always prefer to provide better edge grip
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Coach Z wrote
To me that would be too wide for a one ski quiver.  I'd go with the Kendo at 90mm wide and square sideways which I always prefer to provide better edge grip
That's because your home mountain is an inclined ice skating rink.

Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Back at ya

Na it's you Tele guys that don't put both skis on edge anyway so you don't care the width if you are skidding.

All kidding aside Matt is this actually the reason you guys do seem to prefer a wider ski?
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
The reason that Tele skiers ski wider skis is because we're poor, can only afford one pair, and we ski more pow than you.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
I'd go with the Kendo
On paper, the Kendo is the logical choice.  But I think the 90Eight's going to be more quick & lively, which is what I prefer.  Not that I'd be disappointed with the Kendo by any means, but holding the two skis side-by-side in the shop my heart was drawn to the 90Eight.
Reply | Threaded
|

I:)skiing
I also thought the trend would level off.    At our ice rink down south I honestly have to laugh at all the 90 and 100 waists and the spewing of how great they are here and there and everywhere.    

To each his own, but with kids in private school and lots of sports, dad is left to buying a used pair of skis every year or other year.    I have two sources who treat their equipment like gold.    It comes to me in perfect shape.   That said, I don't care who makes it or how it looks. This beggar is not choosie.     I like a 14 meter ski that is stiff, generally with a waist in the mid-high 70s.   DONE.    Rock, Ice, Powder (3-5 inches round our parts), Crud, Racing, Moguls, Pond skimming and teaching lots and lots of kids who walk, jump and generally abuse the top sheets.  They might get waxed 4 times a year or once every 20 days or so.   Noting some of my days, are just a few hours.    

When there is deeper powder I am down in it, loving it for what it is and where I am at.   After a season or two, I give them or sell them to a guest/young instructor for 1/2 of what I paid.  Tried giving them away but everyone argues with me, so now I basically get a case of beer and bottle of vodka for them.    
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Adk Jeff
Adk Jeff wrote
Coach Z wrote
I'd go with the Kendo
On paper, the Kendo is the logical choice.  But I think the 90Eight's going to be more quick & lively, which is what I prefer.  Not that I'd be disappointed with the Kendo by any means, but holding the two skis side-by-side in the shop my heart was drawn to the 90Eight.
Attended the Volkl meeting today.  After learning about both skis I'd say it would come down to your weight and where you ski.  The Kendo is a much beefier ski with square side walls, titanal metal and a wood core.  The 90Eight has no metal some wood and some carbon fiber and is crazy light.  The Kendo was described as the ultimate eastern one ski quiver.  I think the 90Eight would just be too light for my skiing at WF and being not a light guy.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Thanks for the update Coach.  Yeah, the differences between the 90Eight and the Kendo were pretty obvious holding them side by side in the ski shop.  I go about 165 #, still leaning more towards the 90Eight.  For tele at Gore, obviously.