Gecko skins ...anyone using them?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gecko skins ...anyone using them?

Telemark Dave
I'm ready to pull the trigger on some new skins - and Gecko have been on my radar since they were introduced.
The whole appeal is the lack of glue...

Any and all comments, reviews and opinions are welcome ...
After all, that's why I'm asking here.

TD
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gecko skins ...anyone using them?

Darkside Shaman
This post was updated on .
Check out Lou Dawson's review at Wildsnow.com and you may change your mind.
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Well then...

Back to the drawing board...

Thanks for the heads up Darkside. That will teach me for not visiting Lou's site more often.

So the search for the holy grail continues. Move along ...nothing to see here...

TD
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Here's a good review for you Dave...
http://www.wildsnow.com/8202/g3-high-traction-skins-review-2/
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Thanks Darkside...

Interesting.. I'll keep an eye for further reviews of these. I have a pair of the standard G3 skins already, in fact I just ordered a set of new Xl tip loops along with the twin tip tail attachment clip so I can use them on my Élan Boomerangs..
For skinning in our area - with limited vert (which means lots of yo yo laps) we tend to put in very steep skin tracks to preserve skiable terrain. So enhanced grip would be good. Especially because we don't trim skins "wall to wall", preferring to buy them at waist width. This obviously enhances glide, but diminishes grip (less surface area). Another benefit is the ease of folding, as no glue is left exposed.. And the skins are not dedicated to a pair of skis. Purist skinheads would frown on this approach, but it seems to work for SBR and myself.

Anyways, the new g3's have my attention...

Thanks again...

TD

Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
Keep an eye on SAC. There were some MoMix ascension skins on there for $80 last week.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Thanks tBatt

Good idea, I've also been watching the TTips buy and sell and the MEC one. (Mountain Equipment CoOp - Canadian version of REI...)

TD
Reply | Threaded
|

schwanztucker
This post was updated on .
Old thread I know (hijack).  Anyone have a suggestion on what skins (kicker or regular) would suffice for the madshus annum?  I've yet to ski anything steep enough yet but given good snow, that's going to change this winter.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
I've been using Black Diamond Ascension Nylon Standards (tailless) with my Karhu Guides (same ski as Annums) for the last 3 or 4 years.   I didn't trim them either,  they're 70mm wide so just a touch narrower than the 78mm waist of the skis.   That way they fold perfectly - no glue showing to get contaminated.  Easy peasy.  The way it should be given the intent of the equipment.

TD