Open this post in threaded view

Re: Geeky Trail Building Thread.

Az are these one way trails?
"Peace and Love"
raisingarizona raisingarizona
Reply |

Nope. Both are bidirectional. Geology might have a different say once we get further on the Heart up the mountain and force a short hike a bike for uphil and/or lesser skilled riders but we’ cross that bridge when we get there I guess.
Reply |

We hit the 1 mile mark on the Heart trail this week after doing an 8 day stretch of building and camping. I’m so beat but I’m totally loving it.

Jamesdeluxe Jamesdeluxe
Reply |

So cool to get a quasi blow-by-blow about building a trail, especially one in that gorgeous setting. Most of us assume that singletracks were just put there by nature and never consider the work and thought that goes into them.
Reply |

Jamesdeluxe wrote
So cool to get a quasi blow-by-blow about building a trail, especially one in that gorgeous setting. Most of us assume that singletracks were just put there by nature and never consider the work and thought that goes into them.
Thanks James. I decided to look back through this thread after reading this post and it was fun to see the progress made over this last year. There's a ton of hard work from a lot of different people that’s gone into this thing. Hopefully it’s completed by this November.
Jamesdeluxe Jamesdeluxe
Reply |

When do you work every day? By noon, it must be brutal under that blazing sun. When I lived in NM, I always made sure to finish riding by late morning.

That's the tradeoff -- while we don't have the killer landscapes like in the southwest/in the east, we're usually riding under a canopy of trees so you don't die on hot sunny days.
Reply |

It does get real hot over on that side of the mountain but we are now at 7500 feet so it’s not too bad. We do 10 hour days from 7 to 5:30, this includes the 2.5 mile hike in and out. From around 11 to 3 everyone gets a bit slower and we take plenty of water breaks.
Marcski Marcski
Reply |

raisingarizona wrote
It does get real hot over on that side of the mountain but we are now at 7500 feet so it’s not too bad. We do 10 hour days from 7 to 5:30, this includes the 2.5 mile hike in and out. From around 11 to 3 everyone gets a bit slower and we take plenty of water breaks.
You guys can't ride in?  Check out how the trail is flowing and get you there a lot faster.  
Reply |

The ACE crew kids don’t ride and even if they wanted to they can’t afford it. I just rode it this morning, things are coming together nicely!
1 ... 1112131415161718