Going out west Christmas week next year. Where to?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
31 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Going out west Christmas week next year. Where to?

raisingarizona
mattchuck2 wrote
skunkape wrote
I am surprised noone has mentioned Whistler/Blackcomb. That place has everything for everyone...
Usually dependable for snow, but not this year. I'm still hoping my trip there in April is a skiing trip, but it looks more and more like a mountain bike trip.

Not a bad place for that!

Have you biked there? Between Vancouver to Pemby you have a lot of the worlds best mountain biking trails. It's incredible. I have only been to Whistler once and it wasn't for the skiing. I would love to go skiing there but the biking is the jam.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
We're going to Steamboat, done deal.  My dad just booked a room at the Holiday Inn at Steamboat Springs.  We'll be skiing 12/26-12/31.  Should be totally awesome.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Powderchaser
Banned User
snoloco wrote
We're going to Steamboat, done deal.  My dad just booked a room at the Holiday Inn at Steamboat Springs.  We'll be skiing 12/26-12/31.  Should be totally awesome.
Kinda early in the season to go out west, don't you think?  They won't have the best coverage yet and it's holiday period.  Good thing you are stoked though.

Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
We have to go then.  Its the only time my parents can get off for that amount of time.  Steamboat has had every lift open that week many seasons.  If it really looks bad, our hotel reservation is refundable.  Hoping for a snowy December out there.
Reply | Threaded
|

Powderchaser
Banned User
I'd be more concerned with trail count than lift count.  Just my two cents.  It's likely refundable minus a fee.  The nice thing about later in the season is the chance for the snow to build up.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Powderchaser wrote
I'd be more concerned with trail count than lift count.  Just my two cents.  It's likely refundable minus a fee.  The nice thing about later in the season is the chance for the snow to build up.
uh oh, I think I see a family resemblance.  
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
Marcski wrote
Powderchaser wrote
uh oh, I think I see a family resemblance.
You think... because I was thinking the same thing... has he traded his title as the "assassin" for something a little more family friendly?
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by Marcski
I'm concerned with the lift count because without the lifts, you ain't gettin to the trails.  You'll stand in shorter lines if all the lifts are open as well.  The trail acreage out west is way more than in the east, even with similar numbers of lifts.  Trail crowding won't be an issue compared to what we're used to.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Christmas week in CO can be very nice. I have spent several Christmas holidays at Winterpark and found the skiing quite good, usually had a powder day or two as well. Steamboat should deliver as well.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
I'm concerned with the lift count because without the lifts, you ain't gettin to the trails.  You'll stand in shorter lines if all the lifts are open as well.  The trail acreage out west is way more than in the east, even with similar numbers of lifts.  Trail crowding won't be an issue compared to what we're used to.
I think you're probably right, assuming there are enough early season storms to provide adequate coverage.  Trail acreage is definitely key, but I can say that it is not the only factor.  I think the proximity to a major metropolitan area also plays a role.  Out here, Crystal and Stevens are an easy drive from Seattle.  Both have big acreage, but due to their proximity to the city, they also feel much more crowded.

I noticed you don't have Copper Mtn on the list.  The only time I have been to CO in December was at Copper, and it was really good.  There was no powder, but the surface quality was consistent and the grooming was top notch.  They have a decent snowmaking system which I think allows them to offer more early season terrain.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Sno, you'll have a great time at Steamboat.  I think I mentioned previously that friends went out for Christmas week 2014 and had great snow.  Steamboat seems to not need tons of snow to get just about everything open and skiing well.  Crowd-wise, one of the great things about the Boat is that it's far enough from Denver (or anyplace really) that you're not going to get any day trippers.