classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gore 4/1/14

evergreen
This post was updated on .
Today was a very unusual day at Gore.  The weather conditions were very nice, 30s around 9 up to about 50 by about 2 PM, blue skies until about 1 then some very thin filtered clouds.  Firm but carvealbe to begin, quickly transitioning to corn.  Only four lifts were open: gondola, top ridge, SBQ and dark side.  What was very interesting was the ice encrusted trees above about 2000 feet.  As the day progressed, the ice started to melt and there was a constant roar of crashing ice surrounding us.  The woods were definitely not in play, straight brook glades were littered with broken limbs and there was a layer of ice cubes covering the snow.  It seemed like a dangerous place to be with all the ice crashing down.  I have never seen anything like that before.  I was hoping to ski in the glades, but I wasn't too disappointed as the trails were great.  Rumor and Lies were especially fun, the headwalls were very carve able, almost like they were covered with about 2-3 inches of corn.  Below these there were soft small bumps.  There is still tons of snow everywhere. looks like 2-3 more weeks of skiing easy.  Be forewarned, however, once you get back into the woods there are trees and branches down all over the place, lots of surprises.  After lunch were were surprised to find High Pines open under the Topridge lift.  This even surprised a patroller on the lift who yelled at us, only to be reeducated as to the fact the trail was open as he ascended.  Straight brook was fun under the chair as well, nicely spaced soft bumps.  Heres a few photos, I'll try to upload a video which really tells the ice story.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gore 4/1/14

evergreen
This post was updated on .
another photo
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gore 4/1/14

Footer
Was there as well today.  Had the shop throw on fresh wax in the morning and was glad I did (10 minute turn around for 2 pairs!).  Lapped Uncas in the morning.  Hit the summit as well.  Lies was holding up great, had some soft bump stuff going on.  Spent the entire afternoon in the darkside.  Was really surprised to find hard pack on lower darby.  That pod really did ski like a different mountain today.  Spring is happening, you could smell the pine all day (when you were not hearing the trees cracking under the ice).  

More ice

Limbs down under the lift line.