Gore Conditions

485 messages Options
1 ... 4243444546474849
Gunny J Gunny J
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Re: Gore Conditions

Sitting home this crappy weather Saturday, still relishing the fun skiing last weekend at Gore!!
Want to spend special time with your children, teach them to ski or snowboard. The reward will be endless!
MikePom MikePom
Reply |

Did anyone ski yesterday?  Trying to get a feel for what the conditions will be like today.
sudsnbumps sudsnbumps
Reply |

I'm home already today.  Fast and Firm racer friendly.  They are blowing the length of Showcase so that was great.  The second and next to last guns were wet.  May Tuesday/Wednesday be the recovery we need.  The base in the woods is sound.
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
We're Framed!  Let it snow like hell!
Ethan Snow Ethan Snow
Reply |

In reply to this post by Harvey
For all of you guys in regards to frozen pipes, what sort of piping do you have in your camps? If you have cross-linked Polyethylene, (PEX) it can freeze and be fine. PEX-A that is. PEX-B and C, not so much, but still much more resilient than copper, or galv. Most plumbers don't use PEX-B anyway, unless you have a cheap cowboy plumber trying to save a buck.  With PEX-A,  It's ability to expand and retract is actually what makes the system work as you have to physically expand the pipe to put the fittings together. If you have a PEX-A plumbing system, it can freeze and thaw all day and go unaffected. Thawing the system out is a pain regardless.

Someday I'll have a camp with a frost-wall foundation, and all internal, and below frost line plumbing.
Harvey wrote
MikePom wrote
Pipe burst at our camp.  No heat.  Could not occupy, we missed the weekend.  Tragic.
I pretty much know that if it gets below maybe -10 that our pipes will freeze.  We drain them but the short section below the drain and above the frost line, even with heat tape seems to jam up.  For some reason it doesn't burst. Yet. Knock wood.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
NorEaster27 NorEaster27
Reply |

this storm should open the woods, I like 12-15 inches.
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

Gore reporting 8 inches. Now over 100 for the season:

https://nyskiblog.com/directory/weather-data/gore-mountain-snow-totals/2018-2019/
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
MikePom MikePom
Reply |

Looking back at the historical totals, with what's in the near term forecast and with March still hanging out there with the possibility of a Nor'easter or two I would say there is a good chance the mountain could hit 150" this year.

Harvey Harvey
Reply |

MikePom wrote
historical totals
Mike using the NYSB Directory resources?

If so...

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
NorEaster27 NorEaster27
Reply |

In reply to this post by NorEaster27
I was high with 12-15 inches :( really poor snow growth was to blame.  The 8 inches of snow / sleet most likely has 1 inch of liquid in it, if not more.  Its good for the base....now just need some fluff on top
JasonWx JasonWx
Reply |

the temp at 700mb got to warm...
no easy storms this year...
"Peace and Love"
1 ... 4243444546474849