Gore Mountain, NY Jan 26, 2015

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gore Mountain, NY Jan 26, 2015

nelsap
Had a fantastic day of skiing at Gore on the 26th, my first time there this season.

It was quite cold - started off at -8F, got into the low-mid teens. Skies were ominous in the AM ahead of the expected storm. However, as the day went on, the clouds thinned and it became sunny for a time. This was a true sign that the storm was going to have trouble spreading too much snow farther north. The drier air was winning out, eroding the north side of the system. Sure enough, that's what transpired.

Conditions were firm groomed packed powder, and only a few slick spots developed during the day. A fine surface. On the flats, with the cold temps, the snow was on the slow side.

All chairlifts except the Hudson Chair (as expected, it is midweek) and the High Peaks chair were in operation. Not having the High Peaks chair in operations makes that pod of trails, which I have been enjoying more and more on my visits, hard to access. The Adirondack Express II is a wonderful improvement, but hardly anybody was riding it, as most prefer to stay warm in the gondola, and I can hardly blame them.

Topridge was checked off as open on the snow report, but was closed - they had made a ton of snow on it and I'm sure they were letting the giant whales dry out.Echo was closed for racing. Otherwise, just about evverything was open.

I'd have to say Sagamore (below) was the favorite run of the day. I got there about 130PM, and had the trail, and the HSQ to myself - with the race, cold temps, etc., nobody was going over there. It was still corduroy - and made for some excellent cruising.

Sagamore

Earlier in the day, the top of Foxlair had a view of storm in the distance

Near the top of Hawkeye - in great shape

Lies was groomed and had fresh snow on it

I love this view from Lower Darby...stillness...clear views of the High Peaks...and nobody had been on it yet

With no lines, and great conditions, I got in 29000' vertical, 32.4 miles, and 25 runs.

JD
Jeremy Davis Founder, New England / NorthEast Lost Ski Areas Project www.nelsap.org
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gore Mountain, NY Jan 26, 2015

Lateski
Great trip report, that has to be some kind of record for one day coverage on a moutain, very impressive, I envy you.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Lateski wrote
Great trip report, that has to be some kind of record for one day coverage on a moutain, very impressive, I envy you.
Pshhh . .  No Rumor, Topridge, or Ski Bowl?

Reply | Threaded
|

Raymo40
Hey JD what did you use to track your day?
Reply | Threaded
|

Skiray
That is crazy awesome.
The family that skis together, stays together.

AlbaAdventures.com
Reply | Threaded
|

fahz
Twenty plus runs is a great day!  Looks like your using Trace as an app, it use to be called Alpine Replay I believe.
11/25, 1/28, 4/6 Okemo; 12/03, 3/4, 4/7 Stratton; 12/10 - Skiing Santas, 1/15, 3/10 Whiteface; 12/22, 3/3 Gore; 12/26 Snow Ridge; 12/28 Stratton; 1/20 Mt Sunapee; 1/21 Pico; 2/3 Killington; 2/7, 3/7 Windham; 2/16 Eldora; 2/17, 2/18, 2/20 Winter Park; 2/19 Steamboat; 2/21 Copper; 3/11 Jiminy Peak; 3/17 Bromley; 3/25, 4/8 Belleayre; 3/31 Hunter
Reply | Threaded
|

nelsap
Hi Raymo, yes, I used Trace - it used to be called Alpine Replay. It is a wonderful app for mapping your runs, seeing how many miles you ski, vertical, speed, etc. It is free too.
Jeremy Davis Founder, New England / NorthEast Lost Ski Areas Project www.nelsap.org
Reply | Threaded
|

nelsap
Mattchuck2, Topridge wasn't open - they were letting the giant whales of snow dry out. It is usually one of my favorite trails there. I wish the Ski Bowl was open during the week.
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
sounds like a great day!  looks like gore did get a couple of inches of snow on tuesday?
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Wow, were you on skate skis or classics? ;)