Gore Mtn 1/10-1/12

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gore Mtn 1/10-1/12

Powderqueen
The skiing Friday was firm and fast. Scaring myself gave me an incredible adrenaline buzz. Most of the time we were just managing our speed on the upper mtn trails. Hullabaloo had guns spewing pins and needles. Lower Darby was really fast and fun. The lower mountain was a little more edgeable and the huge whales on Quicksilver were super fun. Snowmaking guns made for more satisfying turns.

Saturday we were looking forward to warmer temps. 12 of us came up to ski, no matter the weather. As soon as the pouring freezing rain let up around 8am, we headed out and slipped and slide down Dippikill Rd to Glen Creek Rd. So Johnsburg Rd had a glaze on it as well.

I had my Yaktrax on my boots, and was very happy about that when while walking from the car to the base lodge. The parking lot was an ice rink.

Donned in Goretex, we all set out. First run down Uncas, found us at the Straightbrook quad. Patrol said, take a run and come back. So down to Topridge chair we went. At the top, all ropes were up and we were funneled down to the base. Foxlair skied like butter with newer manmade snow. The Arena also had good soft new snow. It was raining....raining hard. We were ready to get back into the gondola and do it again....only the gondola was closed. Gore staff were telling us all lifts were closed due to the threat of lightening.

We went into the base lodge. They announced that the mountain would not re-open and they kindly offered us vouchers. Cracked open a beer at 11am. Our group funneled into the bar.

Sunday half the group decided to ski, no matter the conditions. Some decided to save those vouchers for a snowier day. The mountain was pretty frozen up. It was scary fast skiing again and it was totally skied off by 1pm. Some who stayed late said the lower mountain actually softened by mid afternoon, but our group was long gone by that time.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gore Mtn 1/10-1/12

campgottagopee
Powderqueen wrote
  Cracked open a beer at 11am.  

Now you're talkin sista
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gore Mtn 1/10-1/12

Cornhead
  Sorry you didn't get better conditions for your trip. I can relate to your "scary fast" description, it was the same on 2/9. I was skiing fresh powder at Snow Ridge on 2/8, as were you, what a contrast. Nice to get back to Gore nonetheless, I had a great day, met a few nice people, had some nice conversations with them. Well worth the $12. I can't wait to return when the woods are in play. I could use a Snow Ridge powder fix bad. Too bad this latest arctic blast appears to be bringing only light snow to the Tug Hill Plateau. Heading to Greek Friday, hopefully they've been blasting the mountain with man made during the cold snap. We need a storm! Week after next would be perfect, thank you. Stowe 2/6, Saddleback 2/7, Sugarloaf 2/8, 2/9.