Gore Mtn, NY - 1/26/11

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1 message Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gore Mtn, NY - 1/26/11

RosieSki
After all the cold last week, it was nice to ski in reasonable temperatures today!  All around great skiing today, completely worth taking the day off from work.  

Started the morning off on the summit, Hawkeye had nice soft snow for what were some of my favorite runs of the day, and Chatiemac had sweet bumps on it.  Did a run down Showcase on more really soft snow to meet up with my cousin, then went back up to the top.  Rumor was rather bump-free down the headwall, but skied well.  Over on the dark side, Lower Darby and Hullabaloo had soft snow down the sides, and Darby Woods had good coverage.  Went down Lies on our way to the Topridge chair, Lies was getting scraped off at the top but I found plenty of soft snow down the right side, and once we got part way down the trail was great all the way across.  Topridge skied well, but my pick over in that area was Uncas, it had nice edgeable snow and if you went over on the sides there was quite a bit of loose snow that was a lot of fun.  On our way in for lunch I wanted to try out the Chatterbox glades, they were quite scraped off (sorry bases...) but I can easily see myself having a lot of fun in them with more snow.

After lunch we headed over to Burnt Ridge, Sagamore was fun with soft bumps and Echo also skied very well, especially towards the sides.  We went back up to Bear Mountain and ski patrol had opened High Pines.  My cousin skied that twice, he said it was very thick snow and sort of tough skiing, I did more runs down Uncas.  We went back up to the top to catch Hawkeye one more time, the first section before you can cross over to Chatiemac had gotten scraped off but still had nice snow on the sides and after that was still skiing very well.  Last run was down Wild Air so the cousin could hit a couple jumps, I had fun just following and watching.

The only downside to the day was how overcast it was, which made depth perception a little interesting at times.  The top of the mountain was in the fog all day.  I very rarely take off my goggles, but out of self preservation they came off for Chatiemac and Rumor just so I could see where the bumps were.  Other than that, it was another great day!!