4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gore Mtn, NY: 11/27/11

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Ski Day 3: Today was a bit of a surprise.  After skiing yesterday, you knew cover was going to be extremely thin, and thinner than yesterday.  But the odd thing was that some of the most troublesome spots were actually more skiable than yesterday. SOME of them.

We got Neve another two hour lesson with Erin.  Major bucks, but hey life is short, and it gave me enough time to do five or six laps of Bear Mountain, which was exactly what I wanted.

First gondola, rode by myself.

The morning was subtly beautiful. All of the valleys had strips of mist running along them.

Top of Foxlair

Distant Views

The first run was  firm but totally edgeable - as it never went below freezing. After that I tele'd and relished every single slushy bump, and tried to work on "light-on-my-feet" parallel turns to snake through the obstacles.

The big brown spot from yesterday, right under the Gondola on Sunway, somehow now had a WROD that you could sail through without a thought.  I have no idea where they were found the snow to do it:

Top of Quicksilver was showing signs of wear...

...and what came to be known as "Chocolate Corner" got even more chocolatey, possibly becoming more mud than snow...

I came down at 10:45 and did a run with Neve and Erin...

Jamboree

Jamboree was getting a lot of use from beginners and experts alike.  I told Neve we were going to do three runs and then head out, but she kept pushing and we did six total.

As a passholder, it's not hard to be psyched that your mountain went all out working nights to patch together 1700 feet of vert. But I was surprised at how many single ticket holders I saw.  I guess it proves the point that hardcore apples come in all shapes and sizes. One thing is for sure, I am glad I skied this weekend.

Still ...fingers crossed for the pattern change that is creeping into some weather discussions tonight.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gore Mtn, NY: 11/27/11

ausable skier
good to hear Gore did some walk up ticket sales

WF seemed to do a nice walk business on friday but it got smaller each day and was non existent today it seemed
A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Beth (my wife) told me that when she got Sylvie (our almost 4-yr-old daughter) out of the Bear Den daycare so she could "ski" (play on snow with skis on) with us at the end of the day, there were a bunch of big bags full of canned goods inside the Northwoods building.  Gore was running a food pantry promo where you got $20 off for bringing in two cans.  If that pile of cans is a good indicator, it sounds like there were plenty of non-passholders skiing.  I noticed quite a few day tickets as well.

Here's Sylvie Saturday afternoon taking her first "ski lesson," taught by her older brother Daniel (age 7) and your truly.  This is Sylvie's first time on skis, other than in our front yard on Weds:

- Sorry for the Kids Stoke cross-post!
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowhunter
Thanks for all the reports!!!  I'm itching something fierce to get out.  I was away Thursday/Friday and the better half worked Saturday/Sunday so I haven't been able to check things out myself.  I'm only 30 minutes from Gore but this year I opted to get my season pass from Whiteface rather than Gore because of the extras but now I'm regretting that as I have to pick my ticket up at Whiteface for my first day (80 miles away vs 25 miles away) so I don't know when I'll get up there now.

Weird, I skied in October which I never thought would happen but now November which I was counting on is in doubt.

Oh well.  I'm glad to hear that you had a great weekend!!!