3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gore Mtn, NY: 2/20/12

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Ski Day 20: Today was a short one for Neve and I. Zelda took the day off.

Neve had an 8:30 lesson this morning.  We ran into Erin her instructor around 8:10 and the two of them went off and I got on the Gondola at 8:15.  A little off-topic here, but kudos to the Gore Ski School.  We brought them a baby and they gave us back a skier.

Friday on the drive up Neve complained about an upset stomach.  After we arrived at the cabin, she got sick to her stomach twice and finally fell asleep around 9:30pm - way past bedtime on a ski night.

Zelda and I decided to keep her out of holiday camp the next day. Zelda volunteered to give up her day to stay with Neve as she really wasn't feeling so great either.

At 6:50 - I'm about to walk out the door to head for Gore...and I hear this voice. "Daddy? Where are you going?" 

"I'm going skiing!"

"Can I come?"

More proud father crap in a moment.

A closer look for ml242

I dropped Neve off with her teacher at 8:10.  With only an hour-and-a-half to free ski, I rode to the top of Bear, hit Uncas down to the Quad, then Hawkeye to Chatiemac to Straightbrook Trees. Next I rode Cloud down to Hullabaloo.  Patrol LOOKED like they were dropping the rope on the silky untracked whales on Hullabaloo, but wouldn't commit to how long it would be. I was willing to wait, as I knew I didn't have time for another lap. Patrol suggested I hit Darby. I skated over to find it also closed.

Not willing to Cloud-Out, I sidestepped back up the hill and had a prime run at the corduroy on Headwaters.  This time I had to imagine Zelda skiing next to me.

Down Tannery, up to Foxlair/Sunway. Foxlair was in perfect condition - I guess they'd blown on it, but I hadn't noticed.

I picked up Neve from her lesson and we did the Gondi to stay out of the wind. We did a repeat on Foxlair to Sunway and then finished with two laps on the POMA.

But wait there's more...

Neve insisted that she could handle poles on the POMA/Bear Cub Run and I have to admit she actually seems to ski better with poles - skis more parallel and weight farther forward.

If you didn't know Neve and you saw her on the Bunny Hill you might think wow, not bad for a beginner. But this is her third season and she's a Foxlair regular and has skied Pine Knot.  I think she likes to hang at the POMA and show off. The instructors who don't know her are like... nice!

Still hope to keep poles out of her hands on real terrain until next season.

Just so you know, my TRs are like my ski diary.  I'm going to post every time I ski, even when I have no pics (like today).  I want to remember my ski days in July. Invariably if you read them, your going to see family stuff and kid stoke.  Maybe I should put a warning on certain TRs - rated K for kids.

I think Gore is providing conditions that are beyond expectations - my expectations anyway - in a season with no real natural snow.  And thanks to BOTH Pauls (and Shaman) who went out of their way to make my weekend awesome.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gore Mtn, NY: 2/20/12

riverc0il
Keep the kid stoke coming, don't hold it back!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gore Mtn, NY: 2/20/12

Darkside Shaman
Harv; being able to see the smile on Neve's face is as they say PRICELESS!!!!

Gotta go to know