Great Powder Day Today! 2/25/11

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1 message Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Great Powder Day Today! 2/25/11

Powderqueen
I had my skis, boots and all my ski clothes packed up and ready for my trip to British Columbia. Big snow was in the forecast, so I unpacked what I needed for a day on the hill. Greek Peak reported 1" of snow at 6:30, so I decided to go to work for a few hours and let it pile up. Word from Greek Peak was that 6" of snow was on the ground at opening bell. Hard to believe that 5" of snow fell in 2 hours. Had I known, I might have skipped work and gone right to Greek Peak. But I decided to get in a few hours and start my vacation at 11am.

Heavy snow made for slow travel but I was on the lift before noon.

The snow was deep and thick on the slopes. In the woods it was much nicer. So I stuck to the woods.

Met up with some ripper friends on teles and snowboards and we skied some of the less conventional runs.

The winds picked up and my soaking wet gloves were making my hands cold. I didn't have my usual spare pair, so I thought my day was done. I popped into the patrol shack and the kind patrollers offered the dryer for my wet clothes. I put my gloves, neck gaitor and ski pants in the dryer, but those gloves were not going to dry soon enough, so I raided AC's locker and found some really nice gloves. This afforded me a few more runs, but by that time the winds were howling and the snow was blowing sideways. A full on headwind on Zues did me in for the day. I rolled out at 4pm feeling quite satisfied.

Got my boots on the boot dryer and had spot treat the new grease spots off my yellow parka. One final load of laundry is now packed back into my bursting High Sierra duffel. Is 4 jackets too many to take with me?