Greek Peak - Sat. 1/18/14

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Greek Peak - Sat. 1/18/14

Big D
Cornhead and I hit Greek on Sat. 1/18. About 5" of fresh snow. Skiing was great on the trails with the machine made base underneath. After about 2:00 pm the trails were getting scraped down to icy frozen splotches here and there. Unfortunately Cornhead went to skiers right at the top of Elysian Fields, a little off the machine made base and hit a rock... when we stopped for a break at 11:00 am, he looked for a gouge and saw that the rock had pulled part of his steel edge out and there was also a break in the edge - ouch. Not sure if his Mantras can be fixed or not. A red fox wandered out of the woods on to the Mars Hill slope about 1:00... I got a pic I will attach.

Cornheads new Head boots loaded up with Mountain Dew

The Red Fox, who wandered out onto Mars Hill:
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Greek Peak - Sat. 1/18/14

Gunny J
  Hey Big D those mountain dews must be the fuel Corn uses to ski bell to bell. Elk got a couple inches and was skiing great yesterday also.
Want to spend special time with your children, teach them to ski or snowboard. The reward will be endless!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
That fox pelt is worth between 80 and 90 bucks --- just sayin'
Reply | Threaded
|

Powderqueen
I was out there Saturday at 8:30 and enjoyed the fresh snow. My friends didn't arrive until 930, so we headed right to chair 5 in hopes of more freshies. We tracked it out under the lift.

I too skied far right on Fields and took most of the snow with me. AcidChrist warned me there was nothing underneath, but it was just too tempting to resist. I dont think I damaged my skis too badly.

We were going to do some night skiing Weds night, but with temps below zero, we may not.

Saturday looks like the next day for us at Da Peak.

We were going to go up to Gore to use our vouchers, but they are still firm and fast up there with no tree skiing. We'll wait until the end of Feb when the snow fills in.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
Powderqueen wrote
I too skied far right on Fields and took most of the snow with me. AcidChrist warned me there was nothing underneath, but it was just too tempting to resist. I dont think I damaged my skis too badly.
My nervousness on skiing skier's right of Fields may have been my downfall. I knew it might be sketchy, so I stayed close to the groomed part for an easy exit, I almost always hug the trees when I ski over there. I made a couple turns, figuring I'd bail if I felt any nastyness going on beneath my skis, BANG, I hadn't even started down the steepest part yet.

The core shot across from the blown out edge was obtained on my last run of the day on Alcemene, it was almost intentional, I figured the broken edge was irreparable, oops, my second case of bad judgement Saturday. They're in the shop now, they're going to reattach the edge. I've read online a procedure of cutting out a small section of edge and replacing it with new edge material. I may try this myself if their repair doesn't hold. That edge will never be used as an inside edge again. I'm ready for new skis anyway. The Mantras will be relegated to powder/rock ski status. I'm thinking of going narrower under foot for a daily driver. I'm considering Blizzard Brahmas, 88mm under foot, 2.5 sheets of metal, I like metal in a ski for our usually firm conditions, I weigh 250lbs also. Big D and I are headed up to Greek Friday. I'm keeping my eye on Turin's weather, if they get some LES out of this latest arctic blast, I may head up there Sunday.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Corn, not sure what shop you use but Brando at GP can fix those with no problem.....little ptex, hammer/weld in a new edge, tune, then you're good to go.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
This post was updated on .
campgottagopee wrote
Corn, not sure what shop you use but Brando at GP can fix those with no problem.....little ptex, hammer/weld in a new edge, tune, then you're good to go.
Thanks Camp, I considered asking the shop at GP, I was embarrassed to bring them back to Berger's, they did a great job on them after the damage I incurred the Friday before last when GP got 6".  They're at Berger's now. Big D said GP linked my AZ trip report on their Facebook page. All I talked about was all the closed trails and unmarked trees I was skiing. I thought it was funny they would link that. Maybe the new owners are promoting a more laid back attitude, ala Laszlo  at Platty. If so, that's cool. Here's the TR. http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthread.php/127402-Greek-Peak-1-10-14
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
I saw two foxes on mars sat morning.  Looked like one of the same ones.  Also a deep coreshot fri night on alcamene.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
  Welcome to the forum Glade Runner. I kept seeing one on the banks of the Susquehanna in Conklin last Summer while canoing. Then on may way to work one morning I saw one dead on the side of the road in the same area. Probably the same fox, I didn't see one on the river after that. I saw lots of Bald Eagles last Summer too, got me wondering if they'd snag our cats.