Happy New Year Gore 1/1/11

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Happy New Year Gore 1/1/11

sudsnbumps
New Years Day at Gore was Bittersweet.  Probably the best it skied this year (my and a few other's opinion) but they lost a lot of snow.  Lies was my pick of the day with big soft bumps.  I called them GS bumps and my favorite line was right over the top and straight down the middle.  the big Zach liked the skier's left and the kid was all over the place...mostly in the air.  I couldn't keep up and had to go over to Darby and Hullabaloo for the shorter leg resting runs from time to time.  They were groomed which really improved the cover on both.  Hubba bumped up by the afternoon and skied awesome.  Darby had better cover and less noticeable bumps.  Hawkeye also skied really nice but lost the most snow, which was kind of sad.  the summit never really got super mushy with Hawkeye being the softest but still really nice.

Over on Bear, Topridge was soft and losing a lot of snow, but still skiable.  There were a few locals lapping Uncas which was only open through lower Uncas so you had to take tannery.  There was a nice bump line on it but to me it was sticky and slow (read: too much work)...I only did it once and headed back to Lies.  Pine Knot was also losing snow quickly but the bare spots were easily avoidable.

When getting off the Gondola, if you were going to Foxlair, I found it best not to put your skis on until you were over by the beginning knoll.  This was the saddest part of the brief melt.  Foxlair skied really nice and was the least soft of the lower mountain by days end.  The first run of the day was on Showcase and it was a little firm and tight but you knew everything was going to loosen up.  Twister, Showcase, Wildair (I actually skied this more than the rest) all skied about the same.  Prime time corn was lunch time.  They were soft by days end but may have seemed worse after skiing bumps all day.  I never did ski Quicksilver because I couldn't get passed Wildair(yes that good).

I really do think that the mountain skied the best so far season but the loss of snow made it a bit sad.  Now that the temps are dropping and the snowmakers are coming back, Mike said the first priority is to resurface what we have been skiing.  Open pit will come on soon too as the guns are all set.  The guys did a great job moving and manicuring the snow that was there...it was most apparent on Darby where the cover was supreme.
Happy New Year!
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Happy New Year Gore 1/1/11

Harvey
Administrator
Nice report suds. I think most of us know that feeling when your getting some great skiing, at the expense of the base.

Temp forecasts (see the weather page) look good.  If the last two days can constitute our Jan thaw, things are looking up.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Happy New Year Gore 1/1/11

Chris
Take some of the cold air over the rockies, please!  Yesterday it got up to Friday got up to 3* yesterday was 2*

We've been dry here in the i-70 corridor as well, man I hope you guys get some snow soon

don't give up
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.