2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Harriet Hollister Spencer, 12/12/18

Cunningstunts
Banned User
This post was updated on .
Went out for a quick burn this morning in Canadice, NY.  The snow has been pretty thin since that first storm we had in November, but this place is usually pretty consistent because it sits up on a high plateau.  

I knew that they did their first groom of the season on Monday and that it would be skiable, but you never really know how it is until you try.  It was OK.  Trails like "Blue Spruce" to the highest side of the hill had the best coverage although the snow was a bit hard underneath and granular on the surface.

Frosty Hemlocks on "Blue Spruce".  I don't know why they call that trail blue spruce, I've never seen one up there before!

I made my way around the top of and started down the east side of the hill toward sidewinder.  I didn't make any turns on the way down, the cover was a bit too thin to attempt that so I just kind of used a survival wedge when needed.

Sidewinder was OK - coverage was about the same and I headed north toward "Fox Run".

Sidewinder - low on the east side of the hill.

Fox run has a couple decent hills on it and I usually ski it clockwise.  I got there and there was a big bare spot at the top of the hill so I decided to forgo that direction, and a faceplant, and go CCW.

CCW wasn't much better.  I did a hockey stop midway down because I saw some bare spots at the bottom of the hill.  I survival plowed slowly the rest of the way and dodged the bare spots through the trees.

The rest of the trail was pretty icy and bare.

I made my way back toward the high point and looped back around to the car via "Pines", "Chalet", and "Ruthie's Run".

Coverage on Chalet and Ruthies wasn't great.  I hope we get another dump soon because what's up there probably won't last through the weekend.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Harriet Hollister Spencer, 12/12/18

Cunningstunts
Banned User
My prediction was right, but I was hoping it wasn't.

Drove down this morning and it was nothing but some icy slush.  Looks like some ski teams were practicing, but it didn't look fun.  I drove back home and looked at fat bikes.