classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
37 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Hermitage is back.

Milo Maltbie
This post was updated on .
I'd say that if a completely vile and deliberately ignorant person could persuade 40% that he was sent by Jesus to persecute their enemies and another 20% that "both sides" were the same, and another 20% that the leaders they relied on in the recent past are no longer capable of meeting the challenges of the future, then that would be enough to call him a persuasion master.

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
In reply to this post by x10003q
x10003q wrote
I remember reading about some of the Kennedys being members of Windham in the late 1960s. I did remember correctly.

Here is a great Sports Ill article from Jan, 1970, that is chock full of info about Windham:
https://vault.si.com/vault/1970/01/12/a-cold-country-club-for-the-real-cool-crowd

There is no way Windham will ever go back to private.
Rushton Skakel, relative of Ethel Kennedy. Might he be a relation to that kid that allegedly murdered his neighbor?

I don't have a dog in this fight since I'm a nordic skier, but I'm wondering what it might cost nowadays to take a place like Windham private.  Covering snowmaking costs, insurance, socially distanced lodge.  (Nordic will have its own challenges, for sure.)

Back when I was in the, uh, adult beverage business, I had a country club in Rye NY as one of my accounts.  One day, I was chatting with the food and beverage guy, and he goes, "We charge $50,000 for a full membership and $20,000 for a tennis only membership.  We think it's a good value."  With a straight face.
Reply | Threaded
|

tirolski
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
tirolski wrote
Scott Adams... has been on the money lately and for the last several years.
Lots of blind spots with that guy.
He wears glasses, so may he may have corrected his vision, and says he's left of Bernie.
He has a sense of humor and teaches folks ways of improving their lives.
Also he admits if he's wrong.
Warning, he is a trained hypnotist.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Milo Maltbie
Milo Maltbie wrote
I'd say that if a completely vile and deliberately ignorant person could persuade 40% that he was sent by Jesus to persecute their enemies and another 20% that "both sides" were the same, and another 20% that the leaders they relied on in the recent past are no longer capable of meeting the challenges of the future, then that would be enough to call him a persuasion master.

mm
tirolski wrote
The way hypnotism works is that you just "convince" people to do things they were already going to do anyway, and since 40% of the country actually believes that Jesus is controlling a bunch of shit, 20% actually believes that both sides are the same, and (at least) 20% believe that elected leaders are bullshit, it doesn't take a "persuasion master", it just takes a cable TV addict that's good at drawing attention to himself by doing dumb shit.
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
MC2 5678F589 wrote
The way hypnotism works is that you just "convince" people to do things they wanted to do anyway, but otherwise wouldn't do for fear of ridicule or other social sanctions. 
FIFY
Everyone has anger and anti-social impulses, but the deliberate effort to persuade people to express those impulses, all while avoid accountability for that, defines  our current predicament.

mm

"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Milo Maltbie wrote
Everyone has anger and anti-social impulses, but the deliberate effort to persuade people to express those impulses, all while avoid accountability for that, defines  our current predicament.
Good point mm
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
In reply to this post by Z
Z wrote
I agree most academy’s are not strong academically.  There are 3 exceptions in the East  - Northwood, Holderness and Proctor which existed as high end boarding schools for 100 years and are not just ski programs
Probably outliers, but I’ve known people who went to Burke Mountain Academy and Waterville Valley Academy who wound up at Harvard, Bowdoin, and Williams. And I’m always surprised that several Holderness kids a year wind up across the river here at PSU.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Except Bowdion those are all Div 1 skiing programs so it makes sense skiers end up there
Same goes for PSU they ski Div 1
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by Peter Minde
Peter Minde wrote
x10003q wrote
I remember reading about some of the Kennedys being members of Windham in the late 1960s. I did remember correctly.

Here is a great Sports Ill article from Jan, 1970, that is chock full of info about Windham:
https://vault.si.com/vault/1970/01/12/a-cold-country-club-for-the-real-cool-crowd

There is no way Windham will ever go back to private.
Rushton Skakel, relative of Ethel Kennedy. Might he be a relation to that kid that allegedly murdered his neighbor?

I don't have a dog in this fight since I'm a nordic skier, but I'm wondering what it might cost nowadays to take a place like Windham private.  Covering snowmaking costs, insurance, socially distanced lodge.  (Nordic will have its own challenges, for sure.)

Back when I was in the, uh, adult beverage business, I had a country club in Rye NY as one of my accounts.  One day, I was chatting with the food and beverage guy, and he goes, "We charge $50,000 for a full membership and $20,000 for a tennis only membership.  We think it's a good value."  With a straight face.
Ruston Skakel was (he died in 2003) the brother of Ethel who married Robert F. Kennedy. Rushton is also the father of Michael Skakel who was convicted for the 1975 murder of Martha Moxley in 2002. The conviction was reversed and vacated in 2018.
Part of the Kennedy mystique was showing the Kennedy family participating in sports. There were always pictures in magazines and newspapers when the RFK family was skiing at Windham.

One of the problems taking Windham private would be dealing with all the owners of the slope side real estate. They have greatly expanded the number of units. I would doubt people would want to spend the money or could even afford to spend the money that would be needed to make Windham work as a private mountain. Spending a couple grand for family ski passes is a lot different than laying out a big chunk like $75k plus another $5k-$10k per year to ski.

Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
In reply to this post by Z
Z wrote
Except Bowdion those are all Div 1 skiing programs so it makes sense skiers end up there
Same goes for PSU they ski Div 1
Williams, Harvard and PSU are all pretty new to D1 skiing. Some of these anecdotes predate their upgrades.

But anyway, that implies that maybe the selective schools are giving preference to athletes (which we all assume they do, even for a wealthy sport like ski racing). Maybe not, and the kids are truly top notch academically. But it truly makes me question why a parent would send a kid to a $50k/year prep school just so they can compete at a D1, but third tier, state school.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by x10003q
That’s a lot of biscuits to ski the Catskills
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by tirolski
tirolski wrote
MC2 5678F589 wrote
tirolski wrote
Scott Adams... has been on the money lately and for the last several years.
Lots of blind spots with that guy.
He wears glasses, so may he may have corrected his vision, and says he's left of Bernie.
He has a sense of humor and teaches folks ways of improving their lives.
Also he admits if he's wrong.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
đŸ¤£
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Johnny if you can turn his shirt pink and put the head of the guy from Missouri on there, you’re the meme GOAT
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Best I can do on this device right now.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|