Hiking Whiteface to Summit need directions

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Hiking Whiteface to Summit need directions

ADmiKe
I'm going to be hiking Whiteface up to the summit tomorrow, I've done this hike twice before but just hiked the ski trails starting at the base near the gondola.  Then hitched a ride down the highway.  

I want to do the cmplete hike in and back out, and not up the ski trails.  I bumped into some hikers last time I was up there and they said they came up the Whiteface Landing trail which I've looked into, as well as the other ones listed here:

http://www.lakeplacid.com/do/hiking/whiteface-mountain

What's the best approach and the fastest route?  Im looking to avoid technical stuff near the summit.

Thanks
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Hiking Whiteface to Summit need directions

Z
There is a map available at guest services
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Drive to Wilmington and go up towards the WF Memorial Highway. On your left you will see a sign for the ASRC, turn in there an go to the end and then start back out (it's a circle at the end). About 100 yards or so you will see a small parting area on the right and a trail down the bank. Take that trail and it will run into a fire road, take that until you come to a clearing where you will see what looks like some metal box type utility buildings. There is aslo the base of the old Marble Mountain ski lift. Looking up hill you will see the lift line. Follow that to the to of Marble and there you will intersect the trail. Make a right and follow the hiking trail to the top of Whiteface. At one point you will come to a large carne, that is the intersection of the trail to Ester and makes a nice diversion to another high peak. It adds about 45 minutes to the hike.

Have fun.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Mike, first of all there's no "technical" terrain near the summit that you need to worry about avoiding.

PeeTex's route is the way to go if you want to bag Esther as well as WF.  Another alternative to that same route is picking up the start of the official DEC hiking trail further down the road towards Wilmington (The trailhead is at the Wilmington Reservoir, the trailhead and trail are both well marked) rather than starting at the ASRC.  PeeTex's route up the old Marble Mountain lift line is not difficult but it's not marked.

The other route you should consider is the Connery Pond / Whiteface Landing route.  I didn't look up the stats, but I think it's a quicker route than the trail from Wilmington.  You should pick up the ADK's High Peaks trail guide (if you don't already have it) to get the mileage and vert for both routes.  I've done both routes, and they're both fine alternatives.

Take some pictures and post a tr.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Jeff,
He wanted the fastest route and I think Marbel is the fastest and easiest if you don't count the road (when there is no traffic). He sure has the stellar day for it.

Even though the Route up Marbel is unmarked, Hellen Keller (if she were alive) could find/follow it. It's a straight line with concrete tower foundations every few 100 feet.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Agree, plus it's always cool to hike a NELSAP area.