Hunter Conditions

47 messages Options
Harvey Harvey
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Re: Hunter Conditions

No you read it correctly. Really I misspoke. Only half was listed as open, the trails that have had snowmaking.

Honestly I wasn't sure how much would be in play before I got there.  I only asked Chris one question by text: are people skiing Ridge Run? If the answer is no it means only snowmaking terrain is in play.

That kind of skiing is not for everyone. The guys I skied with yesterday skied almost exclusively on natural snow.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
bumps bumps
Reply |

Harvey wrote
With experience at Plattekill you eventually learn that if you ski closed terrain, you are a bad person.
Until someone breaks his leg and says "the guy on the internet said that they expect you to ski closed terrain."
DomB DomB
Reply |

In reply to this post by TheGreatAbyss
Thanks for the intel.  
TheGreatAbyss TheGreatAbyss
Reply |

In reply to this post by bumps
I've been known to duck a rope or two at Gore, however it's a mountain I know and can usually sense when something will be skiable.  I know the issue is usually the one 70 year old working patrol midweek just doesn't feel like opening it.

If I knew I was meeting up with some people who know Platekill id be more inclined to do that, but if I'm going to buy a lift ticket the day before for a mountain I don't know I'm going to assume what is listed as open is what I'll be skiing.  Perhaps next skiblog Platty day I can meet up with some of the regs here

One edit to my earlier post.  Hunter has almost no natural snow on the ground but Belle actually did have a little.  Perhaps being father West in the cats helps
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

In reply to this post by bumps
Fixed it for you lawyer boy.
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

In reply to this post by TheGreatAbyss
The key is really knowing what's underneath, grass vs rocks.  At Plattekill, I'm still learning, and of course, following Chris.

Sorry for the thread drift.
Marcski Marcski
Reply |

Experience, my dear boys, experience.

But, as someone once said..."I ski Plattekill, every pair of skis are rock skis."

The biggest issues of opening trails with marginal snow, isn't skiing them, mostly only experts are ducking ropes, it's patrol having to get someone down in a sled. That ain't easy with rocks, sticks and brush sticking up.
scottski63 scottski63
Reply |

Today was a tale of two mountains. The top winter with blowing snow and the bottom rain with glue like snow. There were no people on the west side at all.

Claire’s way

k27
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

scottski63 wrote
There were no people on the west side at all.
Apparently!

What elevation was the transition?

Thanks for the pics man.
JasonWx JasonWx
Reply |

Hunter skied well today until it didn't..
up until around 11 everything was like velvet , Ike and racers had a nice coating of man made..Then the place turned into a piece of marble..Parts of the mountain were like a nicely polished bowling ball..
"Peace and Love"