classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Hunter Mtn, NY, 2-3-13, Super Bowl Sunday

x10003q
This post was updated on .
After the rain and thaw we were looking for good odds for conditions and terrain. Hunter was our choice. We made the right decision. I met up with Harvey at the Sheraton in Mahwah, NJ. We were in the 6 pack line at 8:20am with a few others.

The ski patrol heading up while we wait to load. They let us on at exactly 8:30. We were on the 7th chair.

Racers was groomed - like most of the trails

There is no snow off the trails - a sad state for February

Hellgate first thing was a dream

Broadway was beautiful, the early bird gets the cord

After some nice high speed laps on the 6 pack we moved over to Hunter West. The snowmaking guns were going until 2pm on the only 2 West trails open - Way Out and Clair's Way. The snow was silky smooth as the temps were in the teens for most of the day.

Harvey in the snowmaking blizzard on Clair's

Heading over a snowmaking whale on Clair's

There were flurries mixed with sun all day. View of K27

Looking down Off Broadway which leads to the Empire terrain park, the NASTAR race course and the lovely green family trail Mossy Brook

The ride up the ZE high speed quad on Hunter West showed the results of the rain and warm temps. Westway (44) was open for skiing this season. It is not looking so good now as it was closed.

It was the first time I had ever skied Clair's without the Z-lift double which was removed over the summer.

Clair's without the double

Skiing powder on Way Out

Hunter once again shows it's immense snowmaking power. After a couple of days of cold temps Hunter was able to provide a wide variety of trails with decent midwinter conditions of groomed packed powder. The lifts were not crowded and the trails were fairly empty. Hunter continues to deliver the goods.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Hunter Mtn, NY, 2-3-13, Super Bowl Sunday

dmc_hunter
Claires was sweeeet!!

Great day...  
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
dmc_hunter wrote
Claires was sweeeet!!

Great day...
It was crazy good. I like that they removed the chairlift. My last run on it was brutal. My eyes refused to listen to my legs.
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
Not having the chair there is great!!!

But sometimes I'm screaming down - (in control for those keeping score) - and I still look up to see if there's anyone I know.

It's a bit of a tradeoff because it's kind of a pain to get over to the quad...  I don't really mind though...
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
dmc_hunter wrote
It's a bit of a tradeoff because it's kind of a pain to get over to the quad...  I don't really mind though...
X and I were laughing about the "flat spot" at Hunter.  You know as Gore skiers, we didn't notice ...

It was a great day. Great skiing with you X.  I have some other pics, will try to post them tonight.

My blog post:

http://nyskiblog.com/hunter-mountain-flying/

DMC - take a read I met a guy... wonder if you know him. Not positive I got his name right.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
Harvey44 wrote
My blog post:

http://nyskiblog.com/hunter-mountain-flying/

DMC - take a read I met a guy... wonder if you know him. Not positive I got his name right.
Yup that's Tom C..  He's a badass..  Works as an ambassador..
good guy...  

Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I know that I'm digging up an old trip report, but I was actually pictured partially in the first picture in the bottom left corner.  I also think that I rode up on the same chair as you, since I remember the people on the chair ahead of us were sitting weirdly in the chair.  I was the teenager in the blue jacket with the grey helmet.
I've lived in New York my entire life.