Administrator
Wishing you the best DB.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: I had a stroke

Johnnyonthespot
Not going to lie. This thread scares me. Time to make some changes.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Johnnyonthespot wrote
Me too, that's why I was asking so many questions.

What changes are you gonna make, Johnny?
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
How's your stress level?
I have had much more stressful times in life, so good there.

BTW, about 25% of the population have a hole in their heart too.  For us, it just doesn't seal when we're born.  Most don't know it.  I'm going to get it closed.

The procedure is low risk.  I'm told they go through the groin.  In & out of the hospital same day.  Two days away from work and after a week back to doing whatever it is I did before.

Without getting the hole sealed, cardio said there's a !% increase year-over-year increase that I have another stroke.

Face4Me wrote
Use the F.A.S.T. acronym to recognize the symptoms of someone suffering a stroke:
F - Face Drooping
A - Arm Weakness
S - Speech Difficulty
T - Time to Call 911
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Johnnyonthespot wrote
Me too, that's why I was asking so many questions.

What changes are you gonna make, Johnny?
   Definitely less beer. (Having an iced tea instead right now) Somehow I'm down 5 lbs to 215 in a month. I've been doing better with less coffee. I am genuinely concerned with my cholesterol and how I would react to the first sessions of cardio. I do have an elliptical. Getting bloodwork done soon.
    I miss BJJ, but I go through the cycle of thinking I need to get in shape before I go back, but then I never get in shape. They say you should go train to get in shape, not the other way around. (It's also starting to come out that getting choked frequently may cause strokes) I have a multitude of injuries from it.
In the process of removing a stressful volunteer role I undertook 5 years ago.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Johnnyonthespot wrote
 (It's also starting to come out that getting choked frequently may cause strokes).
Lots of auto erotic asphyxiation, Johnny?

How tall are you? I'm up to around 215, too, but I'm 6'1" in (what I think is) pretty good shape.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Johnnyonthespot wrote
 (It's also starting to come out that getting choked frequently may cause strokes).

How tall are you? I'm up to around 215, too, but I'm 6'1" in (what I think is) pretty good shape.
LOL

Glad you asked MC

I remember being 215, it was called high school

Just had my annual physical last week and I weighed in at 261. I'll take it being 6 mo's ago I was at 268. At 6'4" most of the time I bounce around in the mid 250's to mid 260's. I'd say my fighting weight would be in the 240's. My problem is I LOVE carbs!!! Pasta, breads, beer, etc and and I won't give them up. Love steak too, don't know if that's a carb or not, nor do I care. Fuck that! We go around once and I'm going to eat what I want. Well, until my Doc says I can't --- LOL
So 250's to 260's is where I'm at.

A few years ago I was in the 290's and felt like shit. I moderated and got in the 250's.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
campgottagopee wrote
. My problem is I LOVE carbs!!! Pasta, breads, beer, etc and and I won't give them up. Love steak too, don't know if that's a carb or not, nor do I care. Fuck that! .
This is me, too
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I'd rather have one of my mom's homemade biscuits and butter than any cookie ever made. She drops stuff off here at work all the time for me that I share with the guys. If she brings in biscuits they know better than to even get close to them!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Here’s the danger with standard tables.  By the height/weight tables you are more than 10 pounds past your ideal weight range for your height, and by the BMI tables you are overweight.  Gain 10 pounds and you’d be obese!!

Of course, these tables don’t consider body composition.  215 pounds is 215 pounds (they weigh the same), but 215 and muscular to me would be healthy while 215 with a gut would not....but the calculations treat them the same!

I’m 6’4”, 190 so hit ideal weight and a healthy BMI, but I’m not as healthy as when I was 180 because a goodly portion of the 10 I’ve gained over the past 10 years has found its way to my gut!

I’m cutting back on beer as well (my gut grew during a beer phase)......but that just means I drink more bourbon!    I should start doing some core workouts and crunches and such (try and target my wee gut), but I don’t.  Should refrain from lighting up anything.  To extend life it has to get a bit more dull I suppose, maybe.  If one thing (you think you can control) doesn’t get you, another thing will?

I do think about being more healthy, even though I’m in pretty good shape.  That’s a start I guess...
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
MC2 5678F589 wrote
campgottagopee wrote
. My problem is I LOVE carbs!!! Pasta, breads, beer, etc and and I won't give them up. Love steak too, don't know if that's a carb or not, nor do I care. Fuck that! .
This is me, too
My problem too. I absolutely love pizza. Unfortunately I’ve discovered the only way for me to drop extra weight is no carb + tons of gym. I guess I have a shitty metabolism. On the upside, after slowly creeping up to about 205 over the last few years, I got my shit together a couple months back. I’m currently in the low 180s. It feels great.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Glad to hear you are ok.

My grandfather died from a hole in his heart in the 1960s at age 58. I think it was a stroke. I do not think there was an ability to fix it like today. Did you know you had this?
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
5' 10" and shrinking at 40...
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Johnnyonthespot wrote

I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Johnnyonthespot wrote
Nope. No need to magnify the dizziness I get afterward!
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by x10003q
x10003q wrote
My grandfather died from a hole in his heart in the 1960s at age 58. I think it was a stroke. I do not think there was an ability to fix it like today. Did you know you had this?
No idea.  I don't know how you find out unless something happens.

Fixing it is not a big deal.  In & out same day.  They go through the groin, much like a stent.  Off work for 2 days, then after a week you can go back to your regular routine.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
I don't rip, I bomb.