Re: Indy Pass Tour 2019-20: Catamount NY, 12/1/19

The bathroom..holy lots of food.  I do like the report though
Brownski Brownski
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

campgottagopee wrote
What's next on the Indy hit list?
I’m gonna be pretty busy with work through the end of the year but Greek is coming soon I think. Bolton maybe. I’m actually kind of excited to check out Suicide Six.
tjf1967 wrote
The bathroom..holy lots of food.  I do like the report though
Ha!
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
campgottagopee campgottagopee
Reply |

Nice!

It's good your busy for awhile because we need snow. Last time you were at Greek it sucked, no need for 2 sucky days.

Looking forward to this thread this year  Good for you and Harv for giving the smaller places some internet love
raisingarizona raisingarizona
Reply |

You sure could do one heck of a fun road trip through Montana, Idaho, Washington and Oregon with that Pass Brownski.
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

raisingarizona wrote
You sure could do one heck of a fun road trip through Montana, Idaho, Washington and Oregon with that Pass Brownski.
We need spancers!
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
raisingarizona raisingarizona
Reply |

Harvey wrote
raisingarizona wrote
We need spancers!
Make it happen!
Brownski Brownski
Reply |

In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
For sure. I probably don’t have time to get out West. Funny thing is Junior has a brain worm for Ober Gatlinburg which looks pretty lame. Maybe a long weekend together with the one in western PA
Brownski Brownski
Reply |

Made it to Shawnee with the boys today. Considering it’s size and the recent weather, we had low expectations.

To say the least

As I was getting the Indy Pass tickets, this lady came out to offer warm chocolate cookies to arriving skiers. The boys were already inside the lodge but I grabbed a couple to bring them.

There was only one lift going to the top most of the morning but this young lady made sure that groups were matched up with singles. Every chair was full and the line remained manageable. That was good because the only way to enjoy Shawnee today was to follow a hot laps strategy. It’s a nice place, almost too big to call it a feeder hill but not quite- leans toward the family/learn-to-ski segment. I would like to get back when they’re fully open and have some fresh snow though.

Conditions today were packed powder with intermittent leaves

Lunch was normal ski lodge fare. There were some chips under this pile of cheese.

Here’s something Plattekill could learn from these guys. Video games for the kids probably increases the apres gross

They started up a double around lunch time. We rode it.

I found this a little odd- don’t think I ever saw that before. It says “slope Security “ on the back of her parka.

All in all a nice little place. It is extremely close to the homestead, less then an hour and a half, and compared to the strictly feeder sized hills around here, offers more skiing, variety etc... Back in the day I tried out nearby Camelback as a spot to get the boys lessons before settling on Mount Peter and Catamount but Shawnee probably would have fit the bill nicely. Being so close, I’ll probably get back some time this winter to use my second ticket.
Brownski Brownski
Reply |

Back to Catamount today. You know you’re at the hill early when there’s still a groomer working on the base area.

The forecast was for it to be cold. It was 11 F when we got there so we bundled up. The boys got breakfast sandwiches in the lodge before heading out.

Catamount recovered from the big thaw pretty well. It was evident that they’d been making lots of snow the past couple days.

Fresh morning  cord

It was a good day. The boys took several warming breaks but we got a lot of runs in. I skied everything that was open, including some of the newly cut trails. Run of the day for me was Upper Glade. I kept going back to that one. They kept just enough guns running to keep refreshing the high traffic areas. Cold temps meant lots of exceptionally dry gunpow.

The new lodge is open for seating.

It is MLK weekend of course. The boys were hungry right at 1 PM- prime meal time- so we had to improvise a little. We found chairs but not a table so the Blue Cooler filled in ably.

Very good da6 over all. Can’t wait to get back of course. Hopefully all the badness is behind us so we can get back when they’re 100% open.