57 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Is there glade skiing at Belleayre?

YUKON CORNELIUS
Widen it. Grade it. Groom it.

I kid.

I think if it could ever hold any snow, a similar (albeit smaller) competition on 46er Headwall would be a blast (maybe. just thinking out loud). I doubt Gore has the balls to pull anything cool like that off though. The moguls competition is pretty sad.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
YUKON CORNELIUS wrote
Widen it. Grade it. Groom it.

I kid.

I think if it could ever hold any snow, a similar (albeit smaller) competition on 46er Headwall would be a blast (maybe. just thinking out loud). I doubt Gore has the balls to pull anything cool like that off though. The moguls competition is pretty sad.
Yep. The moguls competition used to be good when it was held on Hawkeye. Now it's just sad.

If I were to design events at Gore, I'd have 3 contests: a bump contest back on Hawkeye, the "Rumor Challenge" graded on flow, control, time and style (always thought Rumor would be awesome for a comp because you can see the whole trail from that flat part before the last drop), and an "all mountain slopestyle" thing on Dark Side Glades (or 46er, or Lies if you don't want to deal with lift towers). They could judge each and also give awards for an overall title.

I also think there should be some Rando events: some kind of long, grueling slog; a 2 hour sprint thing at the ski bowl where you try to get the most laps on a couple mile course; and a nighttime skin race on the night of the fireworks/torchlight parade.

Nobody at Gore wants to hear any of my ideas, though (previous ideas have included photo contests, video contests, ice climbing intro classes on rock faces convenient to the base area, buying some freaking telemark rental equipment). Sorry about the thread hijack. Break it up if you want, Harv.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
Chinese Downhill from the Summit to the Ski Bowl.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

Skiray
OK. So we are down to the wire here in making a decision on season pass - How are the lift lines here? I just saw a couple of videos that made this place look about as bad as Hunter in regards to lifts...  

The family that skis together, stays together.

AlbaAdventures.com
Reply | Threaded
|

louie.mirags
I have never had a problem with lift lines at belle, but i've only been midweek on POW days.  The few glades they do have are pretty fun on snowy days and don't get much action! I'd say get the ski3 for sure - saves money not driving to the ADKs (on the days you choose belle) and you can still do Gore and the face. BTW, If the highspeed quad at belle is packed the lift all the way skiers left will most likely not have a line.
Reply | Threaded
|

Efilnikufesin
On a crowded day(holiday/weekend,) the superchief may be crowded, no where near as bad a Hunter or Windham. You can just hit the other two lifts on the upper mountain, though not high speed, will be practically walk on and provide some of the better terrain there.
Reply | Threaded
|

Skiray
Thanks.

We are actually up at Belleayre tonight - going to ski tomorrow since today was a wash-out. We toured the main lodge again - as it has been a while since we have and the vibe is really cool. Ran into a guy I know and he happens to be patrol up here too, which was cool. Feels homey like Mad River and Gore. So, we will give it a shot tomorrow - see how we feel about it.

We did see a couple houses today in the area - reasonable. It's amazing that this area - so close to NYC appears to be in a market depression. That is off topic but, this area in it's hayday was the place to be. I am not sure what happened but, this area has tremendous potential given that it's 2 hours from NYC and you have Platty 15 minutes away and Hunter and Windham in 30 minutes from here. So, variety could work. Actually- I am for sure going to try Platty this season! That place looks like loads of fun.

I wonder why the landscape designers decided to run the road the way they did as Yahoo could have been a nice long run if they didn't design a parking lot there. Was the lower part added later?

AlbaAdventures.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Wonder if Ray will see Aussie there ?
Reply | Threaded
|

Skiray
Who is Aussie?

AlbaAdventures.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Efilnikufesin
In reply to this post by Skiray
Lower mountain was added later as far as I know.

Blues off the ridge are very greenish really, though when there is good snow there are a lot of walls (1/4 pipeish) to ride up and huck off of on them and can make them quite fun.

Area is very depressed though. That gas station on the right is always a curious place just before Belleayre. Can buy anything from an egg sandwich on one side, to who knows what they hell on the other side of the store.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
This post was updated on .
Skiray wrote
Who is Aussie?
Well, he's a Face skier who was particularly up in arms about ORDA taking over Belle. He used to post here often but he took quite a relentless beating from some on here. Seems Snoloco has taken his place as the HR whipping boy and now suffers from the hive mind that infects society. Hope he doesn't leave also.

MC rules ! Viva MC !
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Aussie lurks from time to time. Hi Aussie!  

Snowballs wrote
Hope he doesn't leave also.
Might be too late on that one.  Avatar deletion is often a sign.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
AH CRAP !!! He had great TRs and was very knowledgeable. Can't blame him, this crowd was undeservedly rough on the little guy. Pecker heads.

Hi Aussie !!! Hope you and Sno come back,,, will provide back-up for yooze guys.
Reply | Threaded
|

skunkape
Skiray wrote
We did see a couple houses today in the area - reasonable. It's amazing that this area - so close to NYC appears to be in a market depression. That is off topic but, this area in it's hayday was the place to be. I am not sure what happened but, this area has tremendous potential given that it's 2 hours from NYC and you have Platty 15 minutes away and Hunter and Windham in 30 minutes from here. So, variety could work. Actually- I am for sure going to try Platty this season! That place looks like loads of fun.

I wonder why the landscape designers decided to run the road the way they did as Yahoo could have been a nice long run if they didn't design a parking lot there. Was the lower part added later?

There are plans to recut and create a top to bottom run, probably with a replacement lift, saw them online somewhere. They will also annex the former Highmount eventually. I have heard you can ride all the way into Pine Hill when there is natural cover.
Reply | Threaded
|

Skiray
skunkape wrote
There are plans to recut and create a top to bottom run, probably with a replacement lift, saw them online somewhere. They will also annex the former Highmount eventually. I have heard you can ride all the way into Pine Hill when there is natural cover.
They could use a real nice long run from top to bottom. Roaring Brook is a nice pretty run that you can practice turns on, my little one likes that one. I wonder how Cathedral is..  Maybe next weekend.  Leaning more towards doing Gore - longer drive but, certainly more options for skiing.

AlbaAdventures.com
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Snowballs
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Skiray
snoloco wrote
Don't worry, I'm not gone for good.  I'm just waiting for Mountain Creek to open so I'll be in a better mood.  I will be coming back with a lengthy detailed trip report with lots of pictures from Mountain Creek's opening day.
I hope MC gets some of this snow. They can use a good dumping. Last year for a couple of the storms. It was nice to have moguls on most of their runs. Nobody was on them but, good skiers and boarders. Grand prix wa really nice .

AlbaAdventures.com