Jackson NH, 1/25 and 1/26/2014

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Jackson NH, 1/25 and 1/26/2014

Peter Minde
I skied cross-country at Jackson NH this past weekend.  Wicked cold and decent conditions.  Not super optimum, tons of packed powder, but in this whacked-out winter, acceptable conditions.  On Saturday, Hall Rd and Maple Mt, and Ellis River trails were good.  The downhills were fast, with some corners scraped down to ice.

On Sunday I skied the White Mt Marathon.  Some of it was golf course skiing and some was on fairly technical trails in the woods.  Quite good skiing, there was 2" of new snow overnight.

Unfortunately, I've only been up here for races, but I'd love to be able to spend 10 days skiing Jackson and scoping the whole place out.  There's a mix of 100+ km of groomed xc trails, backcountry skiing, and alpine skiing all available in close proximity.  Something like that would be worth a more extensive piece in the magazine.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Jackson NH, 1/25 and 1/26/2014

64ER
Peter Minde wrote
I skied cross-country at Jackson NH this past weekend.  Wicked cold and decent conditions.  Not super optimum, tons of packed powder, but in this whacked-out winter, acceptable conditions.  On Saturday, Hall Rd and Maple Mt, and Ellis River trails were good.  The downhills were fast, with some corners scraped down to ice.
In the heart of the White Mountains, the beautiful Mt. Washington Valley and just before the right turn to Black Mtn., the best place you've never skied.  Worth a long weekend and then some, great deals always to be had late season, based in North Conway.  Don't miss Wildcat if you seek the fall-line, Cannon's a blast and Cranmore is Beer League on Steroids, family style.

Ski you on the Hill.