Jailed for suicide texting?

campgottagopee
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Jailed for suicide texting?

Harvey
Administrator
I guess it needs it's own law.  It's not manslaughter, but it's not cool either.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I'm not sure how I feel about it. I'm with you that it's totally not cool and a real shitty thing to do to someone. It def isn't manslaughter either, imo. Any attorneys on board here that could explain how it could be manslaughter?? I'd love to hear it. I guess I don't feel it's criminal so it shouldn't be punishable by law. If I told you to jump off a bridge and you did it, is that my fault???
There was another story in the news last week that sort of goes along with this one. There's a couple suing a school district because their 6th grade daughter committed suicide do to online bullying. I get that online bullying is a "thing", but how is it the school districts fault?? The parents claim the school district didn't do enough to stop the online bullying and that because of that their daughter took her own life. Could it be the parents didn't do enough to stop the online bullying?? The parents claim they are suing to "honor their daughter".

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/family-bullied-girl-sue-school-district-suicide-48970425

I guess it's human nature to want to always place blame on someone else for any misfortune in our lives, but, to me, these 2 stories are really far fetched in placing blame.

Where do we draw the line of responsibility?  
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
That was Copeland Middle School, I went there.

Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
I think that suing the school is ridiculous, but I do think that if you relentlessly encourage someone to commit a crime or kill themselves - especially given the bond the victim felt for the offender - you should be held accountable.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I hear what your saying but I can't wrap my head around it to totally agree. I hate to say I'm on the fence with this, but I guess I am. One could ask why the hell the guy didn't simply dump this loser. Was he that weak of a person that he couldn't take control of his own life?? If so, is that her fault?? There's too many fingers to this for me to draw a real conclusion.
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
campgottagopee wrote
Was he that weak of a person that he couldn't take control of his own life?? If so, is that her fault??
Yeah, probably and yes, I think so.  I know enough about mental illness (I'm assuming he was) that it's the equivalent of giving directions to a blind person to cross an Interstate in reasonably busy traffic.  Maybe the blind person gets killed and maybe they don't, but either way there is culpability on the part of the person giving directions.

I respect your/others' opinion(s) if you disagree because in other cases - like the school board one - I think the cause and effect get into quite a grey area, some of which seem to me to be ridiculous.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In today world it's always someone elses fault.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
raisingarizona wrote
In today world it's always someone elses fault.
Agree. That's the part I'm struggling with.  

I understand what DB Cooper is pointing out, and there certainly is some validity to it. IF the guy was that unstable then sure there's some accountability to be had there. But manslaughter??? I just don't know.