JasonWx Visits Gore 2/23/11

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

JasonWx Visits Gore 2/23/11

sudsnbumps
JasonWx worked out a prearranged tour of Gore hosted by Duck T.R., Myself and my daughter.  The welcome signs were all out as I told him to arrive before 8 so we could get that Deer Valley Cord that those early runs at Gore feature.  I told him we notoriously open before 8:30.  We were all in line by 8:10 and of course it didn't open until 8:30...Oh Well we still ripped the cord on Quicksilver and Showcase before heading up.  It was a cold morning but the sun was doing it's job quickly.  Blue Bird Day!  I allowed Jason to stop for one picture...

Topridge softened pretty quickly as did Lies.  Just about everything was groomed so we spent the day chasing my daughter and flying down the trails all over the mountain.  I think JasonWx's favorite run was from the top, down Hullabaloo, Wood Out, Pipeline and the bottom of Sagamore, to the Burnt Ridge Chair (sarcasm).  Sagamore didn't ski as well as it had in past days but still fast and firm.  Echo was much softer.  They turned the guns on Hawkeye around lunch time and it quickly became one of the best runs on the mountain.  Hullabaloo asked for several looks as they had blown a ton of snow and no grooming(that's what I like).  We spotted Condor and the foolishly followed him into the woods...The non foolish, Duck T.R. and JasonWx, were waiting at the exit and realized they had made the right choice.  The guns began on Rumor late in the day and I had to do my last summit run on it to check it out...much softer than earlier.  Duck T.R. was dreaming about that first run on it today. (By the way, we ended the day with Duck T.R. being 20k vertical short of a million for the year...good luck today! Yeah he's retired and has the altimeter.) Mike told us later that he needs the bumps to grow on Rumor to slow skiers down.  Speed had been quite high since it was groomed earlier in the week...My daughter bragged only 5 turns to get to the bottom.

Overall we skied the entire mountain's trails.  It was a bummer that we didn't get to show him the glades but conditions were excellent and the weather perfect.  Let's just hope this next weather event give us the frozen goods not the liquid...positive vibes!
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: JasonWx Visits Gore 2/23/11

JasonWx
What a great day!! Sud's and his daughter along with Duck are great tour guides and total blast to ski with.  The theme of the day was SPEED. If you didn't keep the peddle to the metal you were  left in  the dust.
I can't wait to get up there again ...
Thanks again for the great day and of course the beer
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Jason - Sounds like your kind of a day - speed, sunshine and sharp edges.

Also sounds like you're over the trauma from the trek down Pipeline!

I know you've been to Gore before, but ... one question - did your day at Gore change or reinforce any of your perceptions of the mountain?

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
I always knew Gore was a great mountain. It just kept disappointing me. I guess you can say yesterday made up for a lot. I also should add that my tour guides had a lot to do with that too.

Is pipeline the trail that leads to Burnt Ridge? That's a long trek, it would really suck on board.
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
No. The pipeline leads to the Ski Bowl. One could use pipeline to get to BR by circumvention but that would deprive you of the pleasure of flat, tho much shorter Cedars, which goes from the base to BR. Or you could squeeze thru the woods off Twister and arrive at BR that way.
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
According to the "official trail map" on the website  Pipline ends at the bridge where Peaceful Valley takes you to the ski bowl and Eagles Nest takes you to the bottom of Sagamore and the BR Chair...Sorry for the omission.  It was my choice and we got to hit Hullabaloo(best trail on the mountain that day) on the way.  And since Hullabaloo is so short, I figured I would lengthen it a bit ...that and Duck needed the uninterrupted vertical.  
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back