classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
251 messages Options
1 ... 10111213
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Jay, Burke and EB-5

Brownski
It’s always disappointing and sad when somebody turns out to be less then we thought they were, whether we know them personally or just by reputation. The unfortunate truth is probably that the guy is just a criminal. Criminals don’t expect to be caught so there’s no “a million isn’t worth my good name and freedom” calculation for them.  He’ll get his day in court if he wants it but I would bet the next story is gonna be about guilty pleas.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I mean that's a legitimate point for sure.

Still I find it hard to believe that you could borrow 200 million dollars build 50 million dollars worth of stuff and then expect that nobody would notice
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Why is this taking so long?
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Still I find it hard to believe that you could borrow 200 million dollars build 50 million dollars worth of stuff and then expect that nobody would notice
I think it's more the size of your stones, robbing in plain daylight.  I've always wondered how hard it would be to walk into somewhere like L.L. Bean and carry out a canoe.  Have a receipt-looking paper in your mouth like you just bought the thing.  Would anyone notice?
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Haha. I think to pull it off you have to look earnest!  Maybe knit your brow, contemplating that big portage ahead.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by snoloco
https://vtdigger.org/2020/07/10/quiros-cooperating-with-prosecutors-expects-to-plead-guilty-in-eb-5-fraud-case/?
Seems crazy but this actually a typical pattern for white collar prosecutions- big headlines up front, then go on seemingly forever, eventually end with a whimper
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
That makes no sense.  He was the mastermind of the fraud, how does he get a plea deal?

You make a deal to give up the big fish.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Often they plead guilty in exchange for a negotiated sentence. It’s easier and cheaper for the prosecution
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
They could fine him millions.

I hope he gets some legit consequence.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
Often they plead guilty in exchange for a negotiated sentence. It’s easier and cheaper for the prosecution
Plus, lengthy trials like this with fairly large legal teams on both sides plus a jury in a closed courtroom are downright lethal to all involved for the foreseeable future.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Benny Profane wrote
Brownski wrote
Plus, lengthy trials like this with fairly large legal teams on both sides plus a jury in a closed courtroom are downright lethal to all involved for the foreseeable future.
Yeah, I think that should be a consideration but my guess is that the Ivy League prosecutors’ god complexes would make them think they could sequester the shit out of everyone involved if that was in their interest. They go for the plea, in my opinion, so they don’t have to actually do the hard part (the trial) or run the small risk of losing. All they want in the end is the W.
1 ... 10111213