30 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Jay Mountain in the NY Times

Adk Jeff
This post was updated on .
tjf1967 wrote
But its already done...the people have voted.   Isn't that fair?
Yes, absolutely.  But NYCO must proceed with the exploratory drilling in accordance with the established approval and permitting process (SEQRA).  Keep in mind that Lot 8 is still owned by NYS and is still part of the Jay Mountain Wilderness Area.  Even the Adirondack Mountain Club - which supported passage of Prop 5 - has urged the DEC and APA to follow its own rules with respect to NYCO's exploratory drilling:

ADK strongly disagrees with DEC’s current position that exploratory drilling can be legally authorized simply by approval of an amendment of the JMWUMP and by issuance of a TRP... we have always insisted that it follow the letter and intent of existing law.

You can read ADK's complete comment letter here.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by tjf1967
TJ has a point.

One argument I read against this deal said that the wording of the ballot initiative was "rigged." Not sure if or how that was done.

Coach what you are saying sounds like an argument against the concept of state land. Should the state be allowed to own land?  Does the fact that that land is in Essex County doesn't mean Essex should have more of a say than any other New Yorker?  If it was discovered that all of Whiteface from midstation up was pure plutonium, and it mining it would create 1000 jobs for 20 years, would you go for it, if the peeps voted it ok?

Normally I'm leary of this kind of stuff, especially when the land is wilderness. The opinion of the voting public really doesn't affect my POV. In this case I'm more impacted by the fact that so many of the enviro guys seem ok with it, including quite honestly ScottyJack. It makes me think I must be missing something.

Re my somewhat facetious comment to Coach above, I'd be extremely bummed if someone wanted to start a mining operation in the Siamese Ponds Wilderness, so I guess I'm as nimby as the next guy.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Harvey wrote
TJ has a point.
Nobody's looking to reverse last November's vote.  But passage of Prop 5 does not give NYCO carte-blanche to thwart existing protections and review processes.  See my comments directly above  ^^.  Also, it should raise suspicion that NYCO is again playing the jobs card as the reason to rush the approval process.

Harvey wrote
One argument I read against this deal said that the wording of the ballot initiative was "rigged." Not sure if or how that was done.
That's probably in reference to the fact that NYCO spent three quarters of a million dollars on TV ads and other PR to promote passage of Prop 5.  Behan Communications (who also represents GE in the Hudson River PCB matter) was the firm hired by NYCO.

Harvey wrote
so many of the enviro guys seem ok with it, including quite honestly ScottyJack. It makes me think I must be missing something.
I'm not quite so sure SJ said he was OK with it, just that the vote was taken last Nov and the result is what it is.  Now we proceed with implementation of the Proposition.  I'm not looking to put words in SJ's mouth, but to me he sounded more resigned to the fact that the vote went the way it did.

Harvey wrote
I'd be extremely bummed if someone wanted to start a mining operation in the Siamese Ponds Wilderness, so I guess I'm as nimby as the next guy.
There already is a mining operation in the Siamese Ponds:  Barton Mines' Ruby Mountain operation.  Plus their former mine site on the back side of Gore.  The question is, what if they wanted to swap some other land for a few hundred acres of the Siamese Pond Wilderness so that they could expand the Ruby operation?  (I'm not entirely sure if the Ruby operation actually abuts the Siamese Ponds Wilderness, but it's close enough for argument sake).
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
The only mines I know of in Siamese Ponds Wilderness are no longer active - Hooper and Humphrey. I don't think the Gore Mountain mine is classified as wilderness.

The Ruby Mountain mine is near but outside the wilderness. To the environment itself that is probably meaningless but that distinction, in my mind, is significant.  Ruby is in an "industrial zone" (not sure what it's called).

The Ruby project is similar to the existing NYCO mine, and Lot 8 is like the adjacent Siamese. I've seen chunks of garnet around Peaked Mtn Pond and Mtn. I guess I'd have to see details of a swap, but don't think I'd be in favor of mining there regardless of what was being traded.

Re your post further up the page: I am confused about ADK's position. It looks like DEC and APA are pushing for this, ADK is ok with it if... what?  I think of DEC and APA as being pretty serious about their mission.

Jeff, appreciate any light you can shed on the nuance.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
they voted for the swap to look like the good guy knowing there were other ways to fight this without looking like assholes to the general public.  They are sneaky, along with the regulatory bodies. They both have there own interests in mind and not that of NYS. Kinda sad

If another deal comes along we should evaluate it at that time.  Playing the game of what ifs puts a lot of money in white collar pockets but never actually gets anything done.

I dont know why I am even talking about this crap.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
either do I.  Your post is speculative, inaccurate and completely not based on facts or reality.

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
WWPAD?
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
TJ has a point.

If it was discovered that all of Whiteface from midstation up was pure plutonium...
That would explain a lot.

tom
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
The only mines I know of in Siamese Ponds Wilderness are no longer active - Hooper and Humphrey. I don't think the Gore Mountain mine is classified as wilderness.

The Ruby Mountain mine is near but outside the wilderness. To the environment itself that is probably meaningless but that distinction, in my mind, is significant.  Ruby is in an "industrial zone" (not sure what it's called).
Both the Gore Mtn mine and Ruby Mtn mine are on private land (owned by Barton Mines Corporation), so they are not and never have been part of the Forest Preserve.  The Gore mine is directly adjacent to the Siamese Ponds Wilderness and contains the headwaters of the East Branch of the Sacandaga.  Bartons moved from Gore to Ruby around 1985 when it became economically unfeasible to remove the overburden required to continue mining that site.  In other words, the easily accessible garnet deposits had been mined.  Ruby may not be directly adjacent to the Siamese Ponds WIlderness, but it's close.  So it's somewhat similar to the NYCO situation.  It'd be like Barton Mines asking if they could swap some of their acreage on Gore (they own approx 1500 acres surrounding the inactive mine there) for Forest Preserve acreage in the Siamese Ponds Wilderness so that they could expand the Ruby Mountain operation.

Harvey wrote
Re your post further up the page: I am confused about ADK's position. It looks like DEC and APA are pushing for this, ADK is ok with it if... what?  I think of DEC and APA as being pretty serious about their mission.

Jeff, appreciate any light you can shed on the nuance.
No doubt DEC and APA are serious about their mission.  Some people think that DEC and APA are bowing to political pressure to green-light NYCO's expansion into Lot 8 in order demonstrate some sort of common ground, business friendly cooperation between the state, private business and environmental groups.  Some people think that the Adirondack Mtn Club threw Article XIV under the bus in order to curry favor with the Cuomo administration, and that ADK's recent objection to DEC's approvals is a form of backpedaling in the wake of backlash from their membership.  

I'm not sure what I think of all that ^^, but I do know that it's a complicated issue and that the state had better proceed slowly, carefully, deliberately.  Regrettably, the proposition left open some questions as to exactly how the land exchange would be implemented, so we are covering new ground.  I doubt that NYCO has any genuine interest other than making a profit, so that's generally a recipe for disaster for the Forest Preserve and a very good reason to be skeptical.  What I do know is that it's too bad that ADK supported Prop 5 in the first place, and it's too bad that Prop 5 passed - you just shouldn't mess with Article XIV, especially not in the case of Prop 5.

I've barely touched on all the nuances to this issue.  You can probably get a quick handle on the current situation by reviewing the excellent NYCO coverage on Adirondack Almanack:  link here.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
http://www.adirondackalmanack.com/2015/05/nyco-finishes-test-drilling-in-jay-mountain-wilderness.html