Jay Peak Conditions (2011-2012)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
35 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Jay Peak Conditions

ScottyJack
coming in one month.  been almost ten years.  late march - early april.  We be there!!!

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
My full report is finally up:
http://jonnyjay.blogspot.com/2012/02/on-various-aspects-of-lemonade-and-oh.html
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
I skied Jay today and found some leftovers. Pretty crowded and it must have very busy yesterday, given the state of the woods. All the well known spots were very tracked up. Found a "new to me" stash with knee deep untracked.

There is a lot of snow here! I got a little hung up in the woods, stuck my pole down for balance and it went down all the way to the top of the grip. Did a lot of exploring in low angle woods due to burned out legs (poor me, I know). Found some fun stuff. Fat rockered skis make low angle woods a lot of fun.

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Raymo40
This post was updated on .
These pictures are from 2/29 and 3/1. It was a little crowded but not as much as we saw this morning when we left.

They start them young at Jay

Thanks SBR for the advice. We poked around and found some great snow.
I did end up in a creekbed thou.

Plus it snowed 3 of the 5 days we were there.
The best single run was JFK into lower Everglade.  Sweet soft mogels on JFK and nice trees. Andre's was also sweet.
All in all it was the third best ski vacation I've had,and the other 2 were out west.  Great snow and good times.
Reply | Threaded
|

Raymo40
Pole cam experiment. Jay Peak 3/1/12
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Nice report Raymo. JFK to Lower Everglade is one of my favorites. Got first tracks there on Friday in the three to five inches they were reporting.

I skied Jay this morning before the long trek home. It was one of those days where looking out the window could have easily convinced you to stay home. We went skiing anyway and enjoyed a light refresher of velvety goodness on top of the existing pile of snow. Rained briefly as I drove out of Montgomery and then the sun came out.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
What are you hearing about this up that way

Jay
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
skimore wrote
What are you hearing about this up that way

Jay
No more than you. That is an incredibly detailed article, more so than the one linked on AZ. Time will tell, the buildings are built, let's just hope there is is enough money left for the lift realignment, which will really make a difference and is all the skiers really care about. I could even even live with the current Stateside Lodge if the bottom drops out.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Look this could be marketing, or evidence that Jay will continue to be core, or both. But you HAVE to like it:

Could be the latest snowmaking in North America or anywhere. Be interesting to see what and how much they blow.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

stevejpr1
Harvey44 wrote
Could be the latest snowmaking in North America or anywhere. Be interesting to see what and how much they blow.
Guns along the interstate (30 or so) to reinforce for the Brits, spot guns on lower Quai and spot guns along Goat to help resurface advanced routes from Flyer.  We may pass the hat so to speak for contributions....

Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
stevejpr1 wrote
Guns along the interstate (30 or so) to reinforce for the Brits, spot guns on lower Quai and spot guns along Goat to help resurface advanced routes from Flyer.  We may pass the hat so to speak for contributions....
Excellent news and good for you. I know one crew that will be re-thinking Easter plans...
Reply | Threaded
|

Pants
We have a contigent of Whiteface peeps heading up to jay on Friday.  Looking forward to Beach party weekend! party down!
Reply | Threaded
|

This just in...

Sick Bird Rider
From Jay's FB page:

JPR wrote
Latest from Patrol: 8 - 10" at the top of Triple Chair, Derick Hot Shot is now open and 3-5 more trails are possibly re-opening tomorrow AM.
And I'm leaving for a week in Cuba in two days. With any luck I will go skiing at Jay after I return.
Reply | Threaded
|

Easter Monday Freshie at Jay Peak

Sick Bird Rider
The Real Jay Peak Snow Report wrote
After only arriving late Sunday in Monkey Centre the forecast didn’t look good for skiing – rain and maybe some wet snow at higher elevations. We treated ourselves that night to a dinner at the newly re-opened Black Lantern – food was delicious. Well the next morning I decided to gear up. I had missed the one powder weekend this year, missed the week of summer weather in March and now was looking at a sparse mountain for the first week of April but needed to air out the cobwebs, so off I went to the mountain on Easter Monday. At the very least I had to empty out the locker! The Devon darling wasn’t too keen on skiing in the cold rain. Rain on the way up 242 until after Alpine Haven and then some snow – good sign I thought. Then several vehicles minus snow tires (Ontario and Connecticut) trying to wedel their way up the mountain.

Only a few cars in the parking area at Stateside and a few diehards slowly getting ready to attack the wet drizzle. Well the drizzle turned to snow. At the top of the Jet (the only big lift operating) there was at least 6” of new snow – a little thick but new snow!! First run the Derrick (oops didn’t see the rope) – awesome. Virtually untracked, heavy but when it is untracked you can just glide. Then the Haynes, then the Jet. Then the Montrealer and I packed it in but it was well worth it. Somebody on the lift said he found a foot of snow on one run – I said where? He says “on the Derrick, done it three times.” Well, it wasn’t a foot but it was more untracked snow than I have seen for a long time this winter.

On the way home 242 still hadn’t been plowed. As I crested the top there was an 18 wheeler stopped just near the top, not able to go any further. A lineup below was headed by someone else without snow tires – glad I wasn’t in that line. The good news: The way it was raining in the valley when we left I would say the upper mountain will be amazing for a day or two. And then they can groom it for the weekend Tailgate Party at Jay!

JJ
Reply | Threaded
|

64ER
Rolled up 242 @ 10:00AM, Tuesday, 4/11, hoping for some fresh cover (pray 2") over garnrly trails and were compelled to deal with 6"-12"in the magical playground that Jay offers.  We checked out the officially highlighted trail menu as access to all goods available, without hiking.  Patrol checked us out, as we started to hike from the top of the Flyer and said the sign wasn't kidding, they would fine us and toss our sorry asses off the hill.

We demurred, and enjoyed most that was open and more that was not. Pretty sure that Stair Case has not been open since I last hit it LAST APRIL, (350-400") oh well.  Kitt's Woods, Timbuktu, Adrienne's, just AB-FAB.  

I ain't got no Sno-Pro, so don't look for any Hero-Shots.  That's up to Matt-Chuck, and maybe, just maybe, our lil' sojurn to V'mont will improve my skiing (they are so much better,this side of the Bridge) that he'll allow me to smooth out his harsh arcs at Banff next April.  Random thoughts from Smuggs, see y'awl at Jay.

Ski You Later'

64ER