Re: Jay Peak Story

skimore
Lots of stuff in that video doesn't PASS
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Adrider83
I think the people that are doubting N. Vt. snowfall amounts just need to experience a good weekend there.  I have no problems with Jay's totals.  I think they are totally legit.  When I lived out east, I skied Gore, Hickory and Killington regularly.  Maybe I've had good timing on Jay trips, but the place is special.  I think it's a combination of lots of daily 1-5" events, combined with the larger storm upflow events that favor the geography up there.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
Adrider83 wrote
I think the people that are doubting N. Vt. snowfall amounts just need to experience a good weekend there.  I have no problems with Jay's totals.  I think they are totally legit.  When I lived out east, I skied Gore, Hickory and Killington regularly.  Maybe I've had good timing on Jay trips, but the place is special.  I think it's a combination of lots of daily 1-5" events, combined with the larger storm upflow events that favor the geography up there.
Lake effect areas get more small snow events than most places. Ask people who live in lake effect country. Especailly the keewenaw. Everyday is at least packed powder. That's the great thing about small amount of freshies. It's important.

A good weekend at jay peak? I couldn't have a good weekend at  almost ANY major ec ski area. It's simply too crowded. I like fresh cord and fresh pow and having trails to myself. That isn't happening on weekends.

That being said, does jay have good days? Sure. Of course. If the average snowfall was 250, it would have a LOT of good days. Still no wide open pow most of the time, but good tree skiing and descent conditions on the trails. Sure. I dont' tree ski so glades are irrelevant to me.
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
You don't tree ski?

Why would you limit yourself?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by PowderAssassin
PowderAssassin wrote
  I couldn't have a good weekend at  almost ANY major ec ski area. It's simply too crowded. I like fresh cord and fresh pow and having trails to myself. That isn't happening on weekends.

You must be a real blast to hang out with
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
You don't tree ski?
Why would you limit yourself?
I know you're new here Raisin but please don't feed the troll.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottySkis
In reply to this post by Harvey
Hi former snowlover o a z I know it you. Try not to get banded from another form. Yes I looks my first time in tug hill few weeks ago. Have you been out yet?
Scotty