Jay/Sutton advice for Spring Break

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Jay/Sutton advice for Spring Break

Danzilla
Planning a visit to Jay/Sutton during first week of April. Family trip so the water park and free day care at Jay are a big part of the equation. Arriving Tuesday leaving Sunday. Thinking 3 nights at Jay and 2 at Sutton with the weekend days at Sutton. How are crowds at Sutton on the weekends? How long is the trip from Jay to Sutton with the border crossing? Any other advice would be appreciated. We did a Jay trip a few years ago but never have been to Sutton. Looks like some decent very reasonable condos on mountain at Sutton.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Jay/Sutton advice for Spring Break

D.B. Cooper
The drive is about 45 minutes.  If there's lots of snow on the ground you may want to go through Montgomery and bypass 105.  That road has a very steep long hill, cresting about halfway along that highway.  I've always crossed at Abercorn (Canada)/Richford (Vermont).  The crossing is a state road, one lane.  I would be surprised if there were more than 2 cars in line.

The exchange rate now is about 1 USD = 1.25 CAD.  There's 13% sales tax on everything short of oxygen.  Get gas in Richford.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Did Jay the Thurs after Presidents Day weekend, then Sutton Sat after PD weekend, last year.  So still NE school break.

Jay was quiet. Had a great time.  No people, no lines, all ours. Fanatastic.  Sutton was busy at the base (not the lifts at the base, just the base area), really busy.  Maybe ten minute liftlines but slopes quieter. A lot of fun too, different fun than Jay in the widely spaced trees.

Would do both again in a heartbeat.  Maybe schedule away from weekend if possible, like Tue-Fri of the school break.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
Hoser wrote
Did Jay the Thurs after Presidents Day weekend, then Sutton Sat after PD weekend, last year.  So still NE school break.

Jay was quiet. Had a great time.  No people, no lines, all ours. Fanatastic.  Sutton was busy at the base (not the lifts at the base, just the base area), really busy.  Maybe ten minute liftlines but slopes quieter. A lot of fun too, different fun than Jay in the widely spaced trees.

Would do both again in a heartbeat.  Maybe schedule away from weekend if possible, like Tue-Fri of the school break.
We did Jay the Thursday-Sunday of pres week back in 2014. It was busy but lift lines weren't bad except at the tram on the weekend. I don't figure either place will be slammed since it will be late season. I figured Sutton might be apt to spin more lifts on the weekend than during the week. My unscientific checking of their website during a few weekdays indicates they don't spin all their lifts midweek.

I'm locked into Tuesday-Sunday. It really just comes down to whether one place or the other would be better on the weekend.
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
Not surprising about the tram.  Given that it was built in 1966, it doesn't have great uphill capacity.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
Well so much for that. Just read on Sutton's website that daycare closes Easter Weekend. Bummer. Jay it is. Sutton will have to wait for another day. Thanks for the tips everyone.