Thanks for posting Jeff.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Jay's tram grounded

Snowballs
Banned User
Last June, Doppelmayr's president wrote a letter " the tram had been carrying too much weight at once since 1966, due to a mistake in the original operating manual. ".

So, for decades it was running overloaded due to a fat-finger, typographical error ? WTF !

Somebody surely douched that one up.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
This is not the end of the world. Other articles I have regarding the recent Quiros Affair have indicated that this upgrade money was in the operating budget and that the tram maintenance was on the operations agenda. (Sorry, no links, I am too lazy to look them them up).

If the tram doesn't run for while it it will a bit of a blow to summer/fall tourism but no great loss to serious skiers. The terrain off the Tram is fun, but certainly not what most people go to Jay to ski. For that matter, they could run leaf-lookers up the Flyer and let them hike to the summit, it is not that far.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
Sick Bird Rider wrote
This is not the end of the world. Other articles I have regarding the recent Quiros Affair have indicated that this upgrade money was in the operating budget and that the tram maintenance was on the operations agenda. (Sorry, no links, I am too lazy to look them them up).

If the tram doesn't run for while it it will a bit of a blow to summer/fall tourism but no great loss to serious skiers. The terrain off the Tram is fun, but certainly not what most people go to Jay to ski. For that matter, they could run leaf-lookers up the Flyer and let them hike to the summit, it is not that far.
I'll echo what SBR wrote and reinforce this really isn't new news... the EB-5 articles already covered the fact that the tram had repairs that absolutely needed to happen this summer and the holding company was working or already has financing to fix the problems. Might be an issue for summer tourists but that tram will be running come December for sure.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Yeah, it's not exactly "new" news, but it's the first that the tram has been officially grounded (previous status was "needs repairs").  And I agree that the tram's grounding may not be that big a deal to skiers like us.

But it's the tram, so it's a symbolic big deal.  And it's symptomatic of what happens in situations like the one Jay is in now, which is like a ship taking on water.  It's a string of one bad news item after another.  Assets frozen?  Who's going to want to commit cash for next winter's season pass?  If you're booking a hockey tournament for next winter, are you sure you want to tie up with a place that's in receivership?  Would you gamble on Jay for your wedding this summer?  I imagine the cancellations are coming in faster than Jay's CSRs can answer the phones.

If I was the Receiver I'd be working every angle I could to pull off a sale to someone with deep pockets ASAFP.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Adk Jeff wrote
But it's the tram, so it's a symbolic big deal.....

If I was the Receiver I'd be working every angle I could to pull off a sale to someone with deep pockets ASAFP.
Good points, Jeff. The tram is a big part of the Jay brand, so if it is down, the mountain is down. I have to say that I make an effort to ride the tram every time I visit Jay, and, for the most part, it is more for the "tram experience" than the skiing. I enjoy the chatter in the line, the crush of the tram ride, the big woop over the first tower, the Sky Haus, the view, taking pictures at the top, etc. etc. If I get a good run down the Vermonter, Valhalla, or if Ullr permits, the Green Beret, that is icing on the cake.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report