classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

K2 Marksman

JTG4eva!
This post was updated on .
Ok, slight curveball.....but I pulled the trigger on a pair of 2017 K2 Marksman.  

184cm, 106mm underfoot, 20m turn radius.  All terrain rocker with 3mm of traditional camber underfoot.  Not that asymmetrical sidecuts are new, but this is one of the first mainstream models.  It happens to replace the K2 Shredditor, a ski which I almost bought when I got the El Capos.  At 2,150g (4.7 lb) per ski it is 12% lighter than my El Capos, and should pair well with my Dynafits.  While I won't be jibbing in the park, the asym sidecut is supposed to help in powder conditions, and also results in a low swing weight that should serve me well in tighter chutes in the backcountry.  By all reviews it is a ski that will float through powder, cut through crud, be nimble in tight spaces and bumps, and carve reasonably well on the way back to the lift when used at the resort.  Not the lightest of touring skis, but plenty light for a capable, stable all terrain ski.  Looking at Praxis skis actually pushed me over the edge on the Marksman, as Praxis' special edition Quixote is a very similar asymmetrical sidecut ripper.

I went back to Freeze Pro Shops (UK), where I had purchased my Ortovox 3+ transceiver for a great price.  With the rewards ($13) I had from that previous purchase I got the Marksman ($800 retail, on sale for $599+ most places) for $432 delivered.  I was always a K2 guy before turning to Nordica five or so years ago, so excited to be on K2s again!  This Marksman/Dynafit setup with be for powder and soft snow conditions, while the El Capo/Barons will be my go to resort ski for firmer conditions.

Went with BD Glidelite Pure (Mohair) skins.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: K2 Marksman

JTG4eva!
Shit......most fun I've ever had on skis!  If you ever have a chance to demo the Marksman......don't do it unless you are prepared to drop some coin.  Great in the spring conditions today.  So light and manueverable.  The Asymmetrical sidecut is the real deal.  My biggest carving problem has been tipping the outside edge of the uphill ski to get a good carve with that ski.  The shorter outside edge makes it easier to get that ski on edge.

Just a lot of fun.

Pushing the Dynafit Radicals hard in the slush piles I did have one pre-release, so I may need to tighten them a bit.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
This post was updated on .
After a few more days on snow, I can't stress enough how much I enjoy the K2 Marksman. If you happen to see them at a demo day take them out for a spin.  The only place they give anything away is on the upper end speed limit.  They get a little squirrely when really pushed fast.  Other than that, the ski does everything well, very well.  The asym sidecut is no gimmick, as the shorter outside edge does make it easier to engage the uphill ski, and it holds really well.  The swing weight is another great thing.  You can carve all day long, but you can also throw these babies anywhichway at any time, which makes them so versatile in tight spaces and in the trees.  It's not surprising how easy these things are to maneuver given their Pep Fujas heritage, and that they replaced the jib-y Shreditor.  It's a twin tip that certainly would be at home in the park, but skies the whole mountain well.  With a pair of alpine or frame AT bindings I'm positive they would slay the bumps.  They float great in powder, and the touring weight is good.  A+++ ski.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Quick update.  I've gotten several new pairs of skis since I've been on these boards and I never do these kinds of reviews/updates...but this ski is worthy.  Each and every time I take this ski out I love it more...and more.  It really just does EVERYTHING well.  Repeating myself, I know, but the asym sidecut makes the ski sooo easy edge to edge, with great outside edge hold.  So easy to keep the edges engaged, the most subtle tip of the ski from one edge to the other sending you on the rails in another direction.  Combined with the asym sidecut, the traditional camber under foot allows these skies to carve really well for any ski, and it's 106 under foot....but never feels that wide.  Of course the 106 with All Terrain Rocker floats incredibly well in powder.  I've even pushed the speed limit more and as long as you stay alert they can run fast.  They are lighter than many other Alpine skis so they don't bust crud as well as my heavier El Capo, but the swing weight and jibby nature of the ski makes up for that.  At any time, at any place, you can make these skis do anything you want.  Pop some air (park jumps), throw them sideways (rail slide)....the Pep Fujas background of this jibby ski turns the whole mountain into your own terrain park.  Just so much fun.  Demo them if you ever get the chance, seriously!