Kid Stoke!

158 messages Options
1234567 ... 16
Face4Me Face4Me
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Re: Kid Stoke!

Thanks ... It held up well on the groomed stuff ... in today's powder on the other hand ... OUCH!!!
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

In reply to this post by Harvey
Harv: Neve repeat after me: "Tomorrow is my first powder day!"

Neve: Daddy what is powder?

Harv: Neve, powder is snow that is especially magic. It's extra good to ski on.

Neve: "Tomorrow is my first powder day!"

Not sure she totally gets it, but she did a bit of dance. She does it a lot.

Usually I tell her not to jump on the futon, but not this time. She was wondering what was up...

Powdance
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Face4Me Face4Me
Reply |

Nice!!!
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Denis.N Denis.N
Reply |

Gore's photo of the day, featuring Season Long Mountain Adventure kids:

http://www.goremountain.com/multimedia/photos.cfm

Danzilla Danzilla
Reply |

Harv I love the mini-me avatars.  Just stumbled across this thread again today.  Baby, wife and toddler are all doing great.  We spent a long weekend at Gore last weekend to get the wife her first turns of the year and do a little riding with the 2 1/2 year old.  I only got a few runs in, but what I did get were pretty sweet.

The 2 1/2 year old did one run each day and that was about all either of us could handle.  We checked with the ski school on Friday afternoon and they were able to get us a private lesson for her on Saturday morning which was great. She came down Ruby to Sunway on Friday and Saturday.  On Sunday we came down Ruby to Twister.  The only big trouble we had was at the bottom when we hit mashed potatos.  It took a while to get down each run but it was time well spent.  Lots of breaks, snowball fights, snowfort building and a few face plants.  It is tough doing a wedge all the way down with a toddler on the end of a pole - especially when I haven't been on skis for a few seasons.  Looking forward to more fun this coming weekend.  
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

Danzilla ... updates?

The Albany Times Union Blog "Outdoors" just published a two part interview with Jeff Alt, who gives tips about hiking with kids...

Good stuff:

http://blog.timesunion.com/outdoors/on-the-trail-with-kids-jeff-alts-words-of-wisdom-part-i/5677/

http://blog.timesunion.com/outdoors/on-the-trail-with-kids-jeff-alts-words-of-wisdom-part-ii/5514/
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

Anybody have their kids in Karate?

We just discovered it. It's way cheap and all about discipline.

Diggin it!

Adk Jeff Adk Jeff
Reply |

We actually just enrolled Daniel (age 7) in a karate program a few weeks ago, he really loves it.  He had checked it out about 2 yrs ago, when he was right around Neve's age now, and he didn't like it at all - too loud, more than he could handle.  That experience left me skeptical that he would like it now, but in fact it has been just great.  I can't wait until Sylvie's old enough (3 and a half now) - she's adopted from China and she's a total firecracker - I love the image of her running around shouting hi-yah, hi-YAH!
Adk Jeff Adk Jeff
Reply |

In reply to this post by Harvey
And here's more kid stoke.  I assumed 7 was too young to paddle, but one of Daniel's first grade classmates had a kayaking birthday party about a month ago.  The party was at a place called the Kayak Shack that rents kayaks on Fish Creek, the outlet of Saratoga Lake.  All the kids got their own boats and did surprisingly well, here's Daniel:

My parents live in Bolton Landing on Lake George, and Daniel used to love going out in the canoe with me, but ever since the birthday party he wants to kayak instead - my folks have a pair of kayaks, so it works out great.
Adk Jeff Adk Jeff
Reply |

At the risk of being accused of shameless self-promotion, here are links to TRs from a couple hikes we've done with the kids over the past couple weekends:
Snow Mountain via the Deer Brook Flume, Keene Valley
Cat Mountain, Bolton Landing
Like skiing, hiking with kids can be challenging but very rewarding.  
1234567 ... 16