classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Killington 11/11/12

patchrick09
This post was updated on .
Since we had snow mid week and i hiked Mohawk Mtn in CT on Thursday, i was looking forward to skiing Killington this weekend. We packed the car Saturday night and woke up early at 3 a.m. Sunday and walked out the door at 4 a.m. We got off the thruway in Saugerties and picked up one of my friends in Round top a little after 5, then we made our way to killington and rolled into the parking lot a bit after 8 with quite a few cars in the parking lot. I shared  BOGO ticket with my dad and my friend bought a youth ticket for 38 bucks, well worth it to me for skiing on veterand day weekend. First I had to start my trip up the gondola like I normally do, with one of those delicious waffles that you get the smell of when youre about get on line at the gondola.

This one was taken later in the day but I was amazed that they had made enough snow to cover the entire area right before you reach the gondola.

We got on the gondi pretty quickly our first time up with not much of a line then skied down to the north ridge on Great Northern then to Rime, the snow was wet and packed which and felt a bit like spring skiing. The line at North Ridge wasn't too bad but we realized it was getting warmer out as the sun came out of the clouds and it turned into a blue bird day. So we went to the lodge and dropped off our coats, bunny buster had some big bumps but was fun to ski early in the morning. This was the line at north ridge around 2 and it was starting to die down.

This ones from the bottom of mouse trap, the center of the trail was getting lumped up so every time we went down i skied off to the right over the brush sticking through since it was soft and un touched snow

This ones on the turn of great northen just past mouse trap looking out, it was in good condition but the snow was thinning out on the left hand side of the turn as you came down.

My friend and I decided to make our last run a little after 3 but we decided to drop off the snow pants at the lodge and make the last run in shorts and t shirts. It was pretty fun skiing under the gondola and the triple in shorts and a t shirt, people were laughing and cheering as we went down the trail which was great. Also this is what bunny buster looked like on the last run, I think theyll lose it today during the 60 degree weather considering the left side between the moguls was almost all dirt, I thought they would have groomed it to cover up those bare spots in between bumps but they didn't.

Although there was a bit of thin cover on the trails reaching the lower mountain, the upper mountain had some great base depth and im just glad I skied this early in the year. A big thanks to killington for opening so early and making tons of snow last week to make for some great conditions. Looks like every night next week theyll have enough cold to make snow, thanks again to all the hard working people at killington that made this possible and made Sunday such a fun day to ski, great start to what I hope becomes a great season.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Killington 11/11/12

tBatt
patchrick09 wrote
Haha I'm about 2 feet out of the frame of this shot, to the right.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Killington 11/11/12

patchrick09
tBatt wrote
patchrick09 wrote
Haha I'm about 2 feet out of the frame of this shot, to the right.
everyone loves hanging around the waffle hut