Killington Saturday or Sunday?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Killington Saturday or Sunday?

Danzilla
Thinking about taking my oldest over to Killington this weekend for what is likely our last day of the season.

Trying to decide whether to ski Saturday with decent temps around 25-30 after the warmup/rain on Friday or wait for the (possible) 6-10 inches on Saturday night followed by gale force winds and cold on Sunday.

Its been 10 years since I've skied Killington so I have no idea how wind affected the place is. Winds will be from the NW on Sunday around 20 mph with gusts to 50.

The logical thing to do would be to ski Saturday and just deal with the conditions that are what they are in this crappy year.. The optimistic thing to do is to hope for the best with wind and snow and ski Sunday.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Killington Saturday or Sunday?

snoloco
I'm going on Sunday.  Hopefully I get some snow.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
who's calling 6-10?  just curious...link?
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
Accuweather is calling for 6-10.

Mountain-forecast.com is showing 6ish.

The best snow is going to come on Monday if it all pans out. Tuesday would be a good sick day.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
not that anyone is asking..
Sunday will be quite a experience..I would guess winds will be in the 30-50mph range on the upper mtn temps in the low teens ...snow totals from 3-8inches from sunday thru tuesday
of course this can all change..it's 5 days out
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
JasonWx wrote
not that anyone is asking..
Sunday will be quite a experience..I would guess winds will be in the 30-50mph range on the upper mtn temps in the low teens ...snow totals from 3-8inches from sunday thru tuesday
of course this can all change..it's 5 days out
Well when you put it that way....

I am leaning towards Saturday. It will be soft at the beginning and get hard throughout the day. Sunday will likely just be hard, cold and windy with a little bit of frosting. Neither of them are great. Gonna keep an eye on this before I pull the trigger.

Sno - what lifts/trails will be open this weekend that aren't open weekday? It says on the website that the bear mountain lodge will likely open on Friday. Does that mean outer limits and that pod will be open?
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Bear Quad and Outer Limits should be open.  The other lift in that section (Skye Peak Express) had a rope evac 2 weeks ago and has been grounded ever since.  You take the Snowshed Crossover to Needle's Eye to get out from the Bear Quad.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator

snoloco using his powers for good ... FTW!
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
I'm worried about saturday after the rain. If you have the choice, ski Sunday.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
I'll be up both days. It was awesome today:

Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
Thanks for the feedback sno. I figured that would be the case. What do they do with the bump runs when there is a freeze up like the projection for Sunday? Do they mow down the bumps or just let them set up hard?

Great pictures - thanks Matt. I imagine we'll see you there one of those days. You've got to be pushing 80-100 days this year right? Impressive. How's the wife like the Rallys? I am going to try and demo the titans this weekend.