Re: Killington Skier Death

gebbyfish
Very sad.  His poor family! :(
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

CapnJazzHands
That's horrible.  I was at Killington Saturday, didn't see this happen, but the conditions were a bit odd.  Not horrible, but since I was riding solo, I was sketched out enough to be extra cautious.  The snow was pretty fast, and it got pretty scratchy on some trails early.  Except for an hour of two of warm sun midday, the light was really flat and it was difficult to see any contrast on the trail. So you ended up with sections of trail that had lots of loose granular, and then sections that were icy, and given the odd light, it was difficult to see the difference until it was too late.  Saw quite a few sudden ugly falls.  I feel badly for his family and friends.      
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Lost his helmet? I have seen some of this lately. Young people with the helmet strap undone. I guess it's supposed to be cool. Better than no helmet at all, which I see more and more.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

I:)skiing
Very sad.  

I would estimate that 70% of the kids and most adults have the helmet strap too lose to be effective in a high speed collision...meaning it will pop off with sudden impact with the legs or chest.  Then when the head hits the snow or something it is unprotected.   My son pulls his tight, he lights the feel.  My daughter fights me daily and desires to wear it on her chin.     While I permit it at times, I also know that she skis very slowly, in control.   To the point she never falls on any terrain.   that said, she is suceptible to other skiers hitting her, thus my concern.  

I likely helped about 10 people this year turn their helmet around---they were wearing it backwards.     I try not to laugh, since they are obvioulsy new skiers.   Best guy advised me he was a high intermediate, skied 5 times a year and stood there with his helmet on backwards.  I laugh when I think about it now.    We did not get off the bunny hill.  

Parents:  Don't think a helmet can come off during an impact?   Car accident scenes often have tied tennis shoes, watches etc thrown off the body.