Lake Placid Ho Jo's

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Lake Placid Ho Jo's

noip
all you old retro grouches haven't commented that the Lake Placid Howard Johnson's has closed?  what the hell...

furthermore, what is it about upstate NY and Howard Johnson's? one of the two remaining Ho Jo's is in Lake George.

hmmmmm....

oh and bring back Noah John!
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Lake Placid Ho Jo's

sig
i will be watching the basketball games tomorrow at the ground round. who knew those were still around
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
sig wrote
i will be watching the basketball games tomorrow at the ground round. who knew those were still around
There was a Ground Round in the town next to where I grew up.  We used to frequent that place a lot in High School. They had pitchers and never carded!
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
there are only 2 hojo's left in the country. if you need a fix one is in lake george.
it seems something is planned for the lake placid location.
https://www.yahoo.com/food/one-of-the-last-three-remaining-howard-johnsons-115326645547.html
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
damn loved me some hojo's fried clam strips
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
Article in today's NYT about the Lake George HJ
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
I ate at the LP HoJo's many times while staying at the LP HoJo Motor Lodge before it was reflagged.  What a shame it's closing.

The challenge came when the chain was sold to Hospitality Franchise Systems (now Wyndham) and Henry Silverman, sold the restaurant division to Marriott, who in turn reflagged many of the restaurants as Big Boys. Not only did HoJo's die, but so did Big Boys. Henry completely raped the company, which resulted in a significant decline in the number of Howard Johnson Hotels, Ramada Inns, and so on. None of those franchises were ever the same once Silverman took them over. He ran all of the chains into the ground by lowering quality standards in order to retain franchisees.
Reply | Threaded
|

I:)skiing
Such odd timing on this news.     I drove my  9 yo son by HOJOs at Lake George yesterday and we got into a long conversation about hotels, customer service and "known" accommodations.  Now it appears its the only one left.    

LP HOJO was my first "paid" accommodation at Whiteface, slept in cars before.  Rolled into town and stayed with his mom there while she was prego with him.    Dumped 30 inches that night.      Memories.    

Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
It closed about a month ago.  It was a real big deal locally that it closed.  I didn't think to post about it.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time