Snowballs
Banned User
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Looking For Mt. Bike Advice

Snowballs
Banned User
Or you could opt for my favorite woods weapon.......

Mine has a few aftermarket goodies.

I got my Gary Fisher Cake and my Polaris Outlaw off of Ebay. Both were brand new and were from dealers who were closing down. Saved me thousands and enabled me to upgrade to more machine. The Outlaw just frickin flies.

Coincendently, both dealers were in Maine, so I call the Cake and the Outlaw my " Maine " boys.

Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
In reply to this post by Adk Jeff
Adk Jeff wrote
I’m esp curious to get feedback from guys like SBR and HPD who have recently bought new bikes and didn’t go with 29s.  By the way, full susp is out, I’ll look for a hard-tail model in the well-under-$1000 range ($600 - $700?).
I briefly considered a 29er but in general they seemed a) expensive and b) unproven technology. Still have not ridden one but the current thinking seems to be that bike companies now have the frame geometry figured out, so newer versions are way better than early editions. My recent research tells me that you will get a smoother FS-like ride on a hardtail 29er at the expense of some uphill performance and cornering ability. All that said, I don't think you will find such a bike in your price range.

My bike was a clearout 2008 model, which for some reason was still kicking around the warehouse. For me, it was a quantum leap from my 80s vintage ride and you are in the same boat. A 26" hardtail on sale for $800 - 1000 will be a pretty darn good bike. This is a good time of year to buy. Dealers are changing seasons and want to move bikes out the door so we can all shop for skis.

Research ideas:

Even though it is about buying an FS bike, read this very informative post on bike-buying.

Cruise through the discussions, especially "Beginner's Corner" on MTBR.

But really, you should get a Surly Moonlander, the tricked out off-road ATV of the bike world:

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Wow. Just an FYI.....

HUGE tires=heavy rotating mass=hard to pedal/accelerate. Tire weight has a big effect on acceleration.

Example from the ATV world, 2 or so pounds per tire can really slow down a quad. It doesn't take much extra tire weight to have a very noticable effect on your quad's acceleration.

If the tires on that Surly are as heavy as they look, it will be a turd to pedal.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
This post was updated on .
Snowballs wrote
Wow. Just an FYI.....

HUGE tires=heavy rotating mass=hard to pedal/accelerate. Tire weight has a big effect on acceleration.

Example from the ATV world, 2 or so pounds per tire can really slow down a quad. It doesn't take much extra tire weight to have a very noticable effect on your quad's acceleration.

If the tires on that Surly are as heavy as they look, it will be a turd to pedal.
That Surly is not meant to go fast. It is meant for riding on snow, mud, beach, bog, quicksand, untracked forest and other such substrates that would sink a normal bike. Low pressure tires, guys are riding at 5 lbs or less. Unreal.

Real men pedal harder. It's all exercise and training for skiing anyways, right?

Snowballs, read this for the full explanation of Surly fat bike theory:
http://surlybikes.com/info_hole/spew/spew_pugsley
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Yea, yea. For those conditions SBR...cool. The rider would have to decide if it fits for their terrain.

Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
So, it's a toss-up between the Surly and the Outlaw.
Not.
Seriously, thanks for the input.  I'll read through those links SBR.  I really like the idea of a 29er, but I am a little concerned about high center of gravity, loss of some maneuverability, slightly slower acceleration.  I will try to demo a couple models.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Hehehe. You don't have to buy one, I'll let you ride mine. Once.

I wonder how much a 29er does raise the center of gravity. My Cake has 5 inches of travel and the center bar is a tad high. I noticed that in following years, manufacturers in general, have lowered the center bar to more like a girl's bike, so to speak, to avoid this issue.

Does anyone know if 29ers have a higher center of gravity? Or is an adjustment made to the frame?
Reply | Threaded
|

miker92
I was recently in a similar bike search and ended up with a used full suspension. It's a Norco Fluid 2.0 and I paid $900 for it. Used is the way to go if you want the most for your money. Check out archived spec sheets, inspect the bike in person, and give it a good test ride. Here's my argument for 26" full suspension:

All cross country mountain biking has two components: uphill and downhill. Stiff tails are great for the uphill, but are no fun on the downhill. Sure, you will become a better rider faster, but you will work harder, scrub more speed, tire out quicker, etc. Rear suspension has saved me from some pretty nasty falls. Everything about a FS bike feels smoother to me, and I think anyone who has become used to one would agree.

Look for a rear suspension setup with a lockout. Climbing problem solved.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Adk Jeff
Adk Jeff wrote
My bike is showing signs of its age, and I’m considering replacing it this fall.  I’m considering a 29er, and know the advantages of the bigger wheels, but is there any disadvantage (besides cost) to a 29er?  I think Matt pointed out the bigger wheels take a little more muscle to get moving.  I’m esp curious to get feedback from guys like SBR and HPD who have recently bought new bikes and didn’t go with 29s.  By the way, full susp is out, I’ll look for a hard-tail model in the well-under-$1000 range ($600 - $700?).
If I was buying a hardtail, I would most definitely go with a 29er. Just the ability to roll over everything is worth it.  The hardtail 26er is a dying breed.  Read this thread for a good discussion about acceleration, climbing ability, etc. of 29ers vs. 26.

In the $1000 range I would look at this:

Or This:

Really, in Saratoga, I'd just go to Blue Sky or Elevate and see what they've got.  Now is a good time of year to buy a bike because a lot of places are trying to get rid of their 2011 stuff to make room for 2012 stuff.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Those guys ^^^ probably know more than I, but I would add the following on rear suspension. Not sure a lockout is needed. My FS has stable platform valving, and once set right, I can stand up and stomp the pedals HARD and there is no pedal bob yet it still sucks up bumps very nice. Just mention this as a lockout may raise the bike's price.?

Used may well be the way to go, if one has the time wait for a good deal. I used to buy motorcycles that way to save money and thus get a better machine. Many people buy motorcycles and then barely even ride them. After a year or two, they sell them. Thus you easily get a like new machine for 25 % ( or so ) less.

There's a fair chance the same would apply to bicycles.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
Thanks for the input Matt. I can't tell exactly what the specs are on those bikes, but have been considering this BAMF Kimura 29er, which seems pretty comparable:

http://www.giantnerd.com/bamf-kimura-29er-mountain-bike.html
mattchuck2 wrote
Really, in Saratoga, I'd just go to Blue Sky or Elevate and see what they've got.  Now is a good time of year to buy a bike because a lot of places are trying to get rid of their 2011 stuff to make room for 2012 stuff.
That's good advice too.  We've done a bit of business with Blue Sky over the years (Beth mostly) and they've been very helpful.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
The specs on that one are way better . . .

As long as you're not concerned about warranty issues or assembly problems or anything, it seems like a great deal.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote

So I just bought a bike and it turns out to be exactly what you recommended Matt: the Trek Cobia.  Bought it at Blue Sky.  While I seriously considered the BAMF Kimura, which is definitely more a lot more bike for a little more money, in the end I felt buying at the local shop rather than over the internet was more important.  I'll have the bike for the weekend, so I'm looking forward to hopefully another month of riding.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
This post was updated on .
AAAH! A new bike, nuttin like a new bike. Congrats Jeff, bet you can't wait to rip on it. Sharp looker, too.

There is just something about a bike. Maybe because it was our first set of real wheels, freedom, open road and the ability to get around, go where ever you want and have fun doing it on something that is your very own.

My first bike of the modern caliber was a Gary Fisher Wahoo I bought in 03 or so. Great lookin, too. Really sharp, nice bike. After a couple years, some pizant stole it. To my surprise, I quickly found out that it was like loosing a dear friend, MY BIKE! Somebody stole frickin MY BIKE!!!

There is something primal about somebody stealing your bike.

I was like a lil kid for awhile. I couldn't believe it was gone. Those muthers. I searched all the wood's trails around here on foot, determined to get it back. It was shocking in the way it made me feel. If I'ld found somebody riding it, they'ld got an earful and a good scaring before I called the Police.

Anyway, I bought my Cake and it was even nicer, so I slowly got over it. Then one day while riding, I came up behind a 18-19 year old riding, yup my old bike. That flocker.

He likely didn't know me. I passed him and said " Nice Bike ".

"Thanks!" he replied.

Which, after I thought about it, was kinda ironic.

Jeff, I found low handlebars to seat height to be Meh. If you find it undesirable, they make steering post extenders that raise the bars 1-2.5 maybe even 3 inches while maintaining the same steering ratio, etc. I like mine better that way, of course it's a personal preference thing. Different stems/bar bends can change the steering adversely.

You prolly already knew this. Enjoy your bike!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Thanks SB.... yeah, I'm pretty psyched!

Snowballs wrote
... before I called the Police.
Sting & Co.?
Reply | Threaded
|

K man
Jeff, now you need to ride with us at SMBa on Friday nights and Spier Falls on Wed. nights.  Beth will hate me, but you have to get a decent light now.
Avitar=Left Gully, Tuckerman Ravine
No Fat Chicks, Just Fat Skis
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
I pick up my bike tonight!

You're right Kman, I'll have to start getting out with you guys.  You're the second person in less than 24 hours to tell me I need a light.  I'd like to get something I could also use for some nighttime xc skiing.  I've been told Night Rider and Light & Motion are good, though I don't know if they're suitable for skiing.  As for Beth, no worries since I run our household as a DICTATORSHIP (versus Harv's democracy).  Gawd I hope she doesn't read this...