Looking For Mt. Bike Advice

38 messages Options
Snowballs Snowballs
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Re: Looking For Mt. Bike Advice

Those guys ^^^ probably know more than I, but I would add the following on rear suspension. Not sure a lockout is needed. My FS has stable platform valving, and once set right, I can stand up and stomp the pedals HARD and there is no pedal bob yet it still sucks up bumps very nice. Just mention this as a lockout may raise the bike's price.?

Used may well be the way to go, if one has the time wait for a good deal. I used to buy motorcycles that way to save money and thus get a better machine. Many people buy motorcycles and then barely even ride them. After a year or two, they sell them. Thus you easily get a like new machine for 25 % ( or so ) less.

There's a fair chance the same would apply to bicycles.
Adk Jeff Adk Jeff
Reply |

In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
Thanks for the input Matt. I can't tell exactly what the specs are on those bikes, but have been considering this BAMF Kimura 29er, which seems pretty comparable:

http://www.giantnerd.com/bamf-kimura-29er-mountain-bike.html
mattchuck2 wrote
Really, in Saratoga, I'd just go to Blue Sky or Elevate and see what they've got.  Now is a good time of year to buy a bike because a lot of places are trying to get rid of their 2011 stuff to make room for 2012 stuff.
That's good advice too.  We've done a bit of business with Blue Sky over the years (Beth mostly) and they've been very helpful.
MC2 5678F589 MC2 5678F589
Reply |

The specs on that one are way better . . .

As long as you're not concerned about warranty issues or assembly problems or anything, it seems like a great deal.
Adk Jeff Adk Jeff
Reply |

In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote

Really, in Saratoga, I'd just go to Blue Sky or Elevate and see what they've got.  Now is a good time of year to buy a bike because a lot of places are trying to get rid of their 2011 stuff to make room for 2012 stuff.
So I just bought a bike and it turns out to be exactly what you recommended Matt: the Trek Cobia.  Bought it at Blue Sky.  While I seriously considered the BAMF Kimura, which is definitely more a lot more bike for a little more money, in the end I felt buying at the local shop rather than over the internet was more important.  I'll have the bike for the weekend, so I'm looking forward to hopefully another month of riding.
Snowballs Snowballs
Reply |

AAAH! A new bike, nuttin like a new bike. Congrats Jeff, bet you can't wait to rip on it. Sharp looker, too.

There is just something about a bike. Maybe because it was our first set of real wheels, freedom, open road and the ability to get around, go where ever you want and have fun doing it on something that is your very own.

My first bike of the modern caliber was a Gary Fisher Wahoo I bought in 03 or so. Great lookin, too. Really sharp, nice bike. After a couple years, some pizant stole it. To my surprise, I quickly found out that it was like loosing a dear friend, MY BIKE! Somebody stole frickin MY BIKE!!!

There is something primal about somebody stealing your bike.

I was like a lil kid for awhile. I couldn't believe it was gone. Those muthers. I searched all the wood's trails around here on foot, determined to get it back. It was shocking in the way it made me feel. If I'ld found somebody riding it, they'ld got an earful and a good scaring before I called the Police.

Anyway, I bought my Cake and it was even nicer, so I slowly got over it. Then one day while riding, I came up behind a 18-19 year old riding, yup my old bike. That flocker.

He likely didn't know me. I passed him and said " Nice Bike ".

"Thanks!" he replied.

Which, after I thought about it, was kinda ironic.

Jeff, I found low handlebars to seat height to be Meh. If you find it undesirable, they make steering post extenders that raise the bars 1-2.5 maybe even 3 inches while maintaining the same steering ratio, etc. I like mine better that way, of course it's a personal preference thing. Different stems/bar bends can change the steering adversely.

You prolly already knew this. Enjoy your bike!!
Adk Jeff Adk Jeff
Reply |

Thanks SB.... yeah, I'm pretty psyched!

Snowballs wrote
... before I called the Police.
Sting & Co.?
K man K man
Reply |

Jeff, now you need to ride with us at SMBa on Friday nights and Spier Falls on Wed. nights.  Beth will hate me, but you have to get a decent light now.
Avitar=Left Gully, Tuckerman Ravine
No Fat Chicks, Just Fat Skis
Adk Jeff Adk Jeff
Reply |

I pick up my bike tonight!

You're right Kman, I'll have to start getting out with you guys.  You're the second person in less than 24 hours to tell me I need a light.  I'd like to get something I could also use for some nighttime xc skiing.  I've been told Night Rider and Light & Motion are good, though I don't know if they're suitable for skiing.  As for Beth, no worries since I run our household as a DICTATORSHIP (versus Harv's democracy).  Gawd I hope she doesn't read this...