Magic Mountain - January 30, 2019

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Magic Mountain - January 30, 2019

Saratogahalfday
There's nothing like a good old fashioned Magic pow day.  They are acutely special when they come on days Magic is generally closed (Monday- Wednesday during the meat of the season).  It's a bonus day only mother nature can provide.  

Today almost didn't happen.  As the weather guru's continued to downgrade the severity of the storm, and projected snow totals dropped, so did my expectation of venturing to VT.  We had a solid 7 inches in Saratoga Springs, so I hoped that would be atleast what south-central VT would receive.  I woke up at 6, ready to snowblow.  I checked the radar (clear), and Magic's site.  They reported 5-7, and were open for skiing.  I sat in bed and deliberated on what to do.  Was it worth taking the day off and driving over there for 6 inches?  It felt easier to stay local and put in another day for the man, honestly.  But the little ski man inside said any day skiing beats everything else, so after moving around some snow, away I went.

I wondered on the drive over if it would be crowded.  Images of the last pow day there (MLK weekend, sold out) lingered in my head.  That was a holiday Sunday though, this was the last Wednesday in January, with 6 measly inches on hand.  I pulled in, as old red started spinning.  It was warm (mid teens) and a perfect blue bird day.  Lot A was maybe a quarter filled.  I booted up and hit the lift.  No one was in line.  As always, Magic groomed one trail from the top to the bottom.  Everything else was our playground.  With maybe 50 people taking advantage of this gift of a day, the powder available was endless.  In skiing from 9 to 330, I rarely touched anything but powder.  Light, fluffy, eastern champagne powder.  The brave souls who made it yipped with glee all day.  

It wasn't the biggest pow day,  but it was as good as they come.  As I drove through a blinding squall on the way home, satisfaction filled the car.  A classic Magic pow day had been enjoyed.  If I learned anything,  it was to never underestimate my mountain.   The next time I wake and they are open for a pow day, I'll be there.  No deliberation needed.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Magic Mountain - January 30, 2019

Brownski
I’m pretty jealous of you guys that can get away midweek. Awesome job but a couple pics wouldn’t hurt
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Sounds perfect. Now, how’s about them pictures?
Reply | Threaded
|

Saratogahalfday
Sorry gents, no pics.  It was not feasible to stop for any reason ,bouncing through the powder with no soul in sight, run after run.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Saratogahalfday wrote
Sorry gents, no pics.  It was not feasible to stop for any reason ,bouncing through the powder with no soul in sight, run after run.
Well when you put it that way, I understand. Still jealous
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
You play around in the trees?  How’s the coverage?
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Saratogahalfday
No trees, from what I saw and heard it was a little sketchy in there.